Worming Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I was wondering when you worm your foals for the first time. What do you use?

Thanks

We have always given our foal's first worming with either Panacur or SafeGuard. It's a gentler wormer than others. After that we slide them into our regular worming schedule with the rest of the herd.

MA

I usually use Ivermectin around 6 weeks. It is labeled as being safe then. One year I waited longer than that to deworm and I ended up having colicing colts from the worms, so don't wait but do it as soon as the dewormer says you can.

I start worming monthly and continue until a foal is approx 12 months old. Beginning with Panacur or Safeguard and then add Ivermectin and Strongid by the time the foal is 6 months old. Foals are more susceptible to worms than adult horses and worming monthly is the best way to combat them!

I do exactly what Becky does
yes.gif

I agree with Becky, we start at 6weeks and use panacur. Then monthly until 12months of age. Then I put them with our adult program.

Just a word of caution here...anything that is ivermectin like does a hard fast kill on worms. Pancure or Safeguard gradually kill worms. I recently wormed a 10 week old foal with Ivermectin and had him colic because the fast kill caused a ball of worms to block his stomach. Please be careful in this area.

Latest posts

Back