Worming Dosages

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Kind of going from the other current thread about dosing..........

I'm curious as to how you all dose your minis.

Here's what I do..............

Safeguard or Panacur, I always double dose so:::::

Broodmares 32-34 inches-- 800 pound dose

Broodmares under 32 inches-- 700 pound dose

Geldings 32-34 inches-- 800 pound dose

Stallions 30-32 inches-- 750 pound dose

Stallions under 30 inches-- 600 pound dose

Yearlings over 30 inches-- 600 pound dose

Yearlings under 30 inches-- 500 pound dose

Weanlings-- 250 to 300 pound dose

Sucklings-- 150 pound dose

Ivermectin, Ivermectin Gold (or Equimax), and Strongid (pyrantel pamoate)

Broodmares 32-34 inches-- 400 pound dose

Broodmares under 32 inches-- 350 pound dose

Geldings 32-34 inches-- 400 pound dose

Stallions 30-32 inches-- 350 pound dose

Stallions under 30 inches-- 300 pound dose

Yearlings over 30 inches-- 350 pound dose

Yearlings under 30 inches-- 250 pound dose

Weanlings-- 100 to 150 pound dose

Sucklings-- 75 to 100 pound dose

Bumping this up...........since in the middle of all the Katrina chaos I even forgot I posted it until just now
frusty.gif

I guesstimate their weight and normally worm for 50 - 100 lbs above what I think they weigh. I'm pretty good at weight guessing, too!

I dose more than I think the horse weighs too. Sometimes a bit gets spit back out, or doesn't make it IN (side of the mouth and I have to scrape it in with my hand, sigh) and if one under-doses, it can cause resistance-buildup in the worms.
yes.gif

All of my adult horses (31-35") get a 400 pound dose. My weanlings obviously get alot less at the 110 pound dose. My yearlings depending on them get either 200-300 pound dose.

I do pretty much like Becky. I aim to give them about 100#'s more of Ivermectin than I think they actually need. When it comes to my two big horses, who I think weigh about 1,000 each, I give them a whole tube (1,250#).

Cool..........Thanks Everyone
aktion033.gif

Just wanted to know if everyone overdosed a little bit, like I obviously do
biggrin.gif

Is it safe to over dose alittle? I've never done it, I ususlly give my yearlings about A 250# dose of ivermectin and the same dose for Zimectrin Gold. Should I double dose them? Both are rubbing their tails and I just dosed them with Zimectrin Gold today. I aslo wrom them every 3 months, is that enough?

Christy

I do not overdose although it seems to not be a problem if it is done slightly. I actually probably underdose slighly...my vet is very big on not giving meds when not needed or overprescribing...I tend to stick with his way of thinking...haven't had a problem yet...(crossing fingers and knocking on wood)I go right behind the 250 mark on worming (my minis are fat), but think I am going to go w/a syringe and put the wormer in it and do it by actual weight for now on. I am lucky as my vet is only 5 miles away and my minis will walk in and get right on the scale.

We basically wormed the same way you do, esp brood mares we always double dosed them as per our vet and in our area worms are a big problem even though we did not have a lot of miniatures in a small area. There has been a couple of times when doc had me does a mini 400lbs (she was only maybe 200lbs) of Safeguard and in the same day 400lbs of ivmectin and do it again in 6 days.

Jill said:
I do pretty much like Becky.  I aim to give them about 100#'s more of Ivermectin than I think they actually need.  When it comes to my two big horses, who I think weigh about 1,000 each, I give them a whole tube (1,250#).
461117[/snapback]

Count me as doing it this way also.. Ivermectin is soooo safe some over is ok.. And with the tubes going for a 1,250 lb horse I split that so I get 3 Dewormings out of one tube..

I give Ernie and Eclipse ( 32" tall ) a 300 pound dose...

Is it safe to over dose alittle? I've never done it, I ususlly give my yearlings about A 250# dose of ivermectin and the same dose for Zimectrin Gold. Should I double dose them? Both are rubbing their tails and I just dosed them with Zimectrin Gold today. I aslo wrom them every 3 months, is that enough?Christy
Littlehorse--- Every 3 months in my opinion is not nearly enough. Every 8 weeks in the normal routine. In small areas every 6 weeks. If you have no pasture and small acreage every 4 weeks is better. May to October I worm every four weeks. We have no pasture and a very small acreage. Between November and April I deworm every 6 weeks.

I used to use a daily dewormer, did it for years. After I had some sick horse problems and the vet was out several times, it turns out my horses had built up a resistance and they had worms. My vet has also told me not to underdose and they will build a resistance.

the ivermectin I buy has 250 or 500 dose marks... I do smaller horses at 250 (babies, yearlings, dwarves) and larger minis at 500

JJ

added:

My vet has recommended deworming all the horses at the same time on the same day... and any new additions are to be dewormed prior to stepping a foot on the property. He says if I always do this I can practically eliminate worms from the property... excepting for bots

Otherwise... within a week of your deworming your horse will have acquired more worms from the poo of other horses in your pastures that were not dewormed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I weigh each horse each time. Once a year with scales, each time with a weight tape- which is not totally accurate, but is consistent- ie it allows you to see if your horse has gained or lost weight. It errs on the side of slightly over the actual weight and so is safe for any wormer except Quest. I then record the weight in a book along with the wormer used and when. I worm each horse according to the instructions on the tube, and I have never had a problem with the wormer not going in or the tube not clicking in properly and so giving the wrong amount, but then I halter each horse up and tie it and take my time- I have 30 to get through so they are not done all in one day. I do not have the money to waste guessing so roughly on their weights- since actually weighing them I am amazed at the money I have saved on wormers. I also would not put through their systems any more chemicals than I absolutely have to. This routine, along with a yearly worm count, seems to work well. I also worm at the times given- apart from Quest, NO wormer recommends either three months or four weeks- the wormer is active for the length of time shown on the pack. Irrespective of the worm problem in your area. I do understand the way you feel about it but you really need to trust the chemicals to do their job. I worm every eight weeks with Ivermec and then twice a year I do the Fenbendazole (Panacur) five day purge, and ten days after that (life cycle of almost all worms) I does again with Ivermec in case anything is left. This means my horses are as worm free as they can be.

Jane, are you using a large horse tape measure???I know a large horse tape is inaccurate on minis but for worming like you said on the up side would be better...Just wondering if there is a mini tape measure in England or are you just using a regular horse tape...Thanks

Judy..

No, no Mini measure. When comparing the weight on scales and the weight on the tape it is only about a pond or two- less than a Kilo- out. It does depend a LOT on exactly where you put the tape!! I just moved it around until I found the nearest to the actual weight. I now measure just behind the front legs and over the whithers and pull it really tight- I do not worm over this weight (on the tape)

Latest posts

Back