worming and teeth floating schedules?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
How often and what wormers? I have always wormed my big horses every 8 weeks on my hoof trimming schedule, alternating between strongid and ivermectin. is it different for minis and how young do they need their teeth floated? None of my minis have had their teeth done that I know of. the 2 mares are 6 and Joey is 3.

My horses' teeth are checked annually and floated if needed. Usually, I have the vet check half of them in the spring and the other half in the fall. My vet is particularly good w/ mini teeth.

For Deworming, 12mos or so and older horses, mine are dewormed every other month with Ivermectin except 1x in spring, instead of plain Ivermectin I use Equimax or something similar in case of tapes.

For foals, up to about 12mos, I deworm every month alternating between Ivermectin and Safeguard.

Thanks Jill! I guess I will have to make an appointment with my vet for floating!!!!

You're welcome
default_smile.png
The above is just what I do. Others may have different schedules, etc.

One thing I should have added is that if you have a horse with an off bite, he or she may need more frequent floatings. Right now, all of ours have good bites, but in the past, we had some who needed more frequent attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worming schedule is every month and whatever time of year switched every month with ivermectin. I hope you found the threads on not to use Moxidectin for miniatures or ponies.

I have my miniatures and ponies checked twice a year for teeth.

We worm every 8 weeks. We rotate Strongid and Ivermectin. We usually do the 5 day Panacur worming with them once a year.

All of our horses have their teeth floated once a year. Most of ours drive, so we make sure to get them done yearly to avoid sharp points that can bother them with the bit. I have 1 mare who is done every 6 months. Everyone else is good at once a year.

~Jen~

My horses all have their teeth checked annually. They usually don't need it until they are three, and usually have their bit seat done and wolf teeth pulled if needed, as I do drive. Otherwise, those sharp points need to be taken off annually, it helps keep weight on easier (stretches dollars you spend on feed) and I sure wouldn't want ulcers in MY mouth. My vet says SO many people don't float teeth... out of sight out of mind.

As for deworming, I do like the daily dewormers. On top of that I rotate between Pyrantel pamoate and Ivermectin for the most part, every eight weeks. My horses are stalled, not on pasture, so I don't feel like I've got to worm above and beyond that. I do find the daily dewormers keep the pot bellies down.

Andrea

Is it ok to start a pregnant mare on daily wormers? I have only wormed her once with strongid and she had been wormed with ivermectin before I got her in February.

Latest posts

Back