Worming A Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a recently weaned 3 month old mini foal. Weaning went beautifully - she was DEFINITELY ready mentally, as well as physically.

What do you use to worm with? I know not to use Quest etc, but I'm not so sure she weighs enough yet to use anything else either! My vet would like her to have ivermectin and fenbendazole - but wasn't sure of the answer when I presented her with this question. Just use a dab with the worming tubes? Get the pelletized wormer?

She should have already been wormed a couple times by now and needs to be wormed monthly til 12-18 months old with double dose of fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate, rotating in ivermectin (single dose) starting at about 5 months old. Foals have no immunity to parasites, so are considered high shedders and are treated as such. I'll grab a link for more information.

She has been wormed one time, but it was before she was in my care. I took the mare and foal about a month ago to help a friend out of a tight spot. I have a chart with a worming/vaccine schedule from my vet I have been following, but as it comes time for the next worming dose - which product do I use? The tubes? The pelletized fenbendazole?

Back