Wormer reaction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whitney, I had a colt last year that I wormed with equimectrin (generic ivermectin) and he was lethargic and spiked a temp of almost 103 deg. I called the vet and was told "Well I wouldn't give him that wormer again." I'm not sure if it was caused by overload or a reaction to that particular product. I've never used it with him since. The following day he was fine. None of my other horses have had any issue with it though.

This year I have a soon to be 4 mos old. The first two times he was wormed, he was wormed with Safeguard and I made hubby stand on the scale with him so I know what he weighs so he was dosed correctly. I usually try to go a little over with the dose. He still looked so awful that not quite two weeks later I wormed him with equimax (this was earlier this week). That night his belly blew up like a balloon and he had mild colic symptoms and soft stools. His bloaty look is getting better but he still doesn't look right to me. I think its overload and not an issue with the wormer product. Yesterday I had Doc look at him while he was here and he says he looks a little anemic (sp?). We're going to try red cell and if there is no improvement we'll do some blood work. I asked about worming him again but he said to hold off for about 3 wks. I'm concerned about this little guy and wondering why with the worming program I've had him on, he's still more than likely full of worms.

I do rotate wormers

Candice-

I'd have a stool sample checked for your little guy - could answer some questions (as we've already talked about). Good luck.

Barbie

I posted this just as a FYI to keep in mind, AND from my personal experience.

I think this WHOLE worm thing is really interesting. I've had stool samples done by my vet not a FEC, some other type and was told they did not have a worm load. HOWEVER 6 weeks after using EQUIMAX I had horses with itchy rumps, my vet said pinworms I'm like HOW? I wonder if the worm checks done by the vets are missing worms?

Considering the normal recommendation is every 8 weeks, I imagine that 6 weeks after deworming horses can build up a parasite load.

Also keep in mind that an itchy rump does not necessarily mean pinworms. When my horses start scratching their tails out it is almost always because they have itchy underparts--sheaths on the boys and up between the teats on the girls. Some people, vets included, take the easy way & just say it's likely pinworms.

Back