Wormed, but found parasites in poo!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
I wormed on Friday, in my normal rotation. But today when picking up poop in the yard, I found what I think were bots in the piles. They looked lively. Do I need to de worm again?

IVERCARE was the wormer I used this time. I gave enough for 300 pounds, but this mare was at the vets and weighed on a scale at 250.

I think they were bots, I tried to find some pictures. They were like white grubs only pink and about 1/2 and inch to an inch long and as big around as a pencil. Definitely appeared to be moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
YUCK! I had that happen one year on two of my colts. But mine were dead when out. I believe they have to die to release as they attach to stomach/intestine linings. They were very "wormy" looking and appeared red/pink and some whites/grayish looking. Disgusting to say the least. Apparently the wormers I had been using were not working as they should not have gotten to this stage. I try not to use generic wormers any more as they do not seem to work as well as brand names.

I determined mine were bots as well.

Beth

Most wormers do not get bots that is why it is important to rotate and to use the right kind of wormer during the bot fly season. Please read the labels/information sheet that comes with the wormer to make sure you are using what your horse needs.

Most wormers do not get bots that is why it is important to rotate and to use the right kind of wormer during the bot fly season. Please read the labels/information sheet that comes with the wormer to make sure you are using what your horse needs.

Ivermectin is a very effective wormer to get rid of bots.

Yep, I agree, Matt
default_yes.gif
It is the broadest dewormer and the one I use most often, with a "gold" or Equimax dose thrown in for tapes.

Oh now, who would think to read the label really? Of course I read the label! It is supposed to be the leader in killing bots according to the label. Maybe what I saw was killed and not alive. If that is the case, do I need to follow with something else in the near future or trust they are dead?

Yes it is but the reason the bots are mature is because a wormer not effective against bots was used during the life cycle of these critters letting them mature to a size that can be harmful to the animals gut. Here bot season is August/Sept and sometimes into October so I use Ivermectin products at that time. Thus the advise, read the label, use the product appropriate for the type of parasites you are dealing with at that particular time. Consult with your vet if you are not sure when to use specific products.

I hate to say this, but I would get a poo sample, find a feed rep or your local feed mill, or vet and send it in to get an infestation level. You might have to power pack, and maybe get your vet involved to make sure you get the infestation under control.

My feed rep does a twice a year fecal collection at his feed stores and they do it for free.

Just a suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator:
They will be alive in the poo, it paralizes them so they let go. What you saw was normal after worming a horse with worms.

Latest posts

Back