World Show / What do you find stands out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so fast, Stacy
default_laugh.png
... I wanna go back to the music! When there was live organ music at Worlds, I confess that I got very tired of It's A Small World... [SIZE=8pt]I have never liked that song[/SIZE]... and Buttons & Bows, Thank Heaven For Little Girls and Michelle for mare classes. Let's see.... I also heard enough of Surrey With the Fringe On The Top to last a lifetime - that was the basic selection for driving classes. A lot of Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini in driving classes as well. And yes - the organist sped or slowed down as required.

But to be honest - I almost preferred the organ music to the actual songs
default_rolleyes.gif
... even if one more version of It's A Small World sent me running back to the wash rack to hide...

Last year I thought the World video feed was much worse than this one. We got spoiled with the AMHR feed as it did not go through a provider but was a direct tap-in to the videographer... but I love the fact that we get to watch!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The horses look awesome. The ladies are dressed to the 9's - lots of bling. The gentlemen are well dressed.

BUT I cannot understand the arena announcer.

I've tried sitting in various parts of the arena, but he doesn't speak clearly OR the sound system is terrible.

How come in the barns we can hear every single announcement very clearly, but in the arena we cannot tell squat about what is being said?

And I must say, the music is very weary....

Tag/Lori! -- I kinda liked "Like Heaven" for all the baby girl classes!
default_wink.png

Stac

The announcer just stinks. No other way to put it. He doesn't enunciate. People complain about him constantly; I don't understand why he's back year after year.
default_no.gif

Getting to like the song I Love Minis...

the more you hear

it is a Cute song....

The announcer just stinks. No other way to put it. He doesn't enunciate. People complain about him constantly; I don't understand why he's back year after year.
Maybe he insists on having the mic too close to his mouth
default_no.gif
- hey, AMHA - if Mark is not available - I'll do it!! Seriously! And unlike the Gaited Horse shows, there will not be a lot of Spanish and Icelandic names for me to stumble over!!
default_smile.png

How come in the barns we can hear every single announcement very clearly, but in the arena we cannot tell squat about what is being said?
Different sound system, different guy on the mic, not as big a space with lower ceilings.... that is my guess.

Stacy - I remember the organist playing Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy for some stallion halter classes... as well as I've Got Friends In Low Places...
default_laugh.png

*long-winded tale ahead - scroll at will*

Yep - that barn PA is loud and clear all right... one afternoon those of us who were not down at the arena were keeping up on what was going on in the ring that way - getting horses ready or shampooing them off as they came back, drying them and putting them away. The last step before going over to the Justin Arena was the hoof polish. So..... Zoey the black mare was standing there next to me as I held the lead shank so her feet would dry... about 4 of us were sitting around at the end of our stall row enjoying a slight breeze coming in from the overheard door right next to us. From the barn announcements I knew that the class 4 classes ahead of Zoey's had just been pinned... we had lots of time and it was one of those rare moments when you can just sit there for a few minutes and relax.

Suddenly the barn PA said our farm name - and Zoey's number - and said we were needed at the gate IMMEDIATELY for our class!! WUZZAT??
default_new_shocked.gif
HUH??
default_new_shocked.gif
We all looked at each other - froze for a millisecond - then sprang to life - frantically grabbing Zoey's show halter and cramming it on her, wisking down her mane and checking her tail for shavings... but her hooves were still wet!! ACCCKK!!
default_new_shocked.gif
So taking the cool underground tunnel to the hitching ring was out of the question due to the dirt footing... and Zoey and I exploded out the side of the Burnett Building and ran!! At least I found out that my heart is good - as otherwise I would surely have keeled over from a heart attack long before I plunged down the hill and around the corner to the back of the arena... gasping and wheezing from the exertion and the high heat and humidity. The annoyed trainer meet me at the back of the hitching ring and handed me a horse to take back as Zoey started getting prepped.

They are holding the GATE for us!! I had to ask them to call you in the barn!! What is the matter with you guys??!! This is her class!! the trainer said... I was still gasping for air. I looked at the other mares getting prepped... nooooooooo.... I wheezed... her class is still 3 away. The trainer grabbed our daily cheat sheet off the prep cart to show me I was wrong - looked at it and went..... [SIZE=8pt]oh.[/SIZE]

I forgave her.
default_rolleyes.gif

Later.

After I could breathe again.

After I stopped seeing stars.

And after I made a detour to the wash rack to cool down...
default_laugh.png

I forgave her. rolleyes.gifLater.

After I could breathe again.

After I stopped seeing stars.

And after I made a detour to the wash rack to cool down... laugh.gif
Been there done that!! I so know that feeling LOL

default_biggrin.png
Well, there is a lady announcing now. She apologizes for being "new" at it, but I can tell you her words are crystal clear. She enunciates and we can hear her.

The only time we cannot hear is when there is loud, explosive clapping.

Her voice is crystal clear.

Thanks!

Just home tonight.......yes, the replacement announcer is MUCH easier to understand. The other was garbled, both from inside the arena and from the stands.

As to the music, I liked it. Wasn't there for Youth so I can't speak for that but the driving classes I saw or was in I thought had great music selections.

Nice horses, tough classes - although the Futurity halter classes for the most part were very small - and yes, some great stall decorations.
default_smile.png

I was only there for a couple of days, and really felt shortchanged....not nearly enough time to shop and go through all the barns!

Jan

I have been watching it quite a bit and the video feed has MUCH to be desired. I've been TRYING to see my girlfriend and her husband Brenda and Warren from Firewater Miniatures and let me tell you I see them in a "blur." Last year's feed was much better. I knew it was her and him. This year I sorta know it's them and their horses. The music could be more age appropiate my husband commented on it and he never comments on anything hardly. But, AT LEAST I can watch them and I get to cheer my friend on and everyone else that I know. I sorta get to see the beautiful horses and the lovely outfits that everyone has on and it makes me feel like I'm there. The annoucer WELL most of you have already said it..... I have to listen VERY carefully if I want to catch what they're saying and when the class is announced. Sometimes I can catch which class it is when they're leading the horses in other then that it's a guess till the end. TJ

Oh just love the goldie oldies...
default_wub.png
now that is my kind of music....

My volume is right up now...Also just wanted to say

[SIZE=18pt]CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS [/SIZE]

I've been watching. I didn't get to see it last year or the AMHR this year so have nothing to compare it to. However, it is pretty blurry, so unless you know the person showing pretty well it's hard to tell who is showing. As for the announcer, I'm wondering if it isn't someone who the show manager, Laura Mullin, has on her staff. She does a couple other shows that I attend and the announcer at those is also a "mush-mouth" and is impossible to understand. I wonder if anyone has ever said anything to her about this.

My biggest "complaint" is the way they are standing the halter horses for the judges to examine them. The horses are faced away from the camera and are way down at the very end of the arena. Couldn't they have taken into account where the camera was located and turned the direction the horses were told to stand so they could be viewed better by all of us home viewers?

Overall, however, I am just thrilled to be able to see the Worlds and am looking forward to watching the Overall class Sunday night.

I prefer the way they line up the halter classes at Worlds as compared to AMHR Nationals. Seeing the side view is much better than a front or 3/4 view - and the audience sits mainly on the camera's side of the arena - and down at that end. With Nationals we were sort of looking at everyone front on and sutffed into short rows. More room and a better view, many of us have always been puzzled why Nationals does not do it that way... every other show I have been in does.

The quality of the video feed depends on the provider - last year's was blurry as well. The one from Nationals this year was amazing - but it did not go through a provider or server - it just linked into the videographer's feed.

default_smile.png

What does that mean - it didn't go through a provider? Can the same be done for Worlds if they will do it? Please explain.

Latest posts

Back