World magazine - An unobstructed View from the Center Ring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdegner

Reaction score
I read the article mentioned above which is filled with EXCELLENT information that is very useful. However, I was a bit taken aback by the fact that 3 of the 12 points speak to women and their attire. Though I agree they are good points to make, did it take 3 separate paragraphs to address appropriate attire for women and girls? It really jumped out at me when I realized there was nothing addressing appropriate attire for the men and boys.

Now, we've all seen some "sights" in the ring, and the women and girls didn't corner the market on it. How about the guy who wears skin tight pants that he appeared to have sand papered the crotch? Or, the guy who wears baggy, ill-fitting, faded tacky looking clothes? Or the guy who has his shirt unbuttoned to show his furry chest.

Ring attire is an entirely appropriate thing to address in an article like this and the points are all valid. Targeting it toward one gender, in three separate points without any mention of offending behavior in the other gender was, in my opinion, unbalanced (and maybe a teensy bit sexist).

Now, we've all seen some "sights" in the ring, and the women and girls didn't corner the market on it. How about the guy who wears skin tight pants that he appeared to have sand papered the crotch? Or, the guy who wears baggy, ill-fitting, faded tacky looking clothes? Or the guy who has his shirt unbuttoned to show his furry chest.
Sorry Mike, I know you were sincere in your post, but I can't help but laugh at the above quote. It really conjured up some wild images in my mind!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Funny-I was telling my grandma about the same thing the other day! It did make me double check my show clothes though to make sure nothing would hang out when I bend over. I decided to bring a belt just in case for this next show so it may have saved a few people from quite an eye sore
default_pantiesbig.gif
(yay, I finally got to use that emoticon, even if it's not what it's intended for)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having read the article, it sounds like an opinion piece judging purely from the title (the word "view")? Everyone has a different view.

A slight majority of equine exhibitors are female, and I'd say the vast majority of fashion offenders are female. I do think guys have it easy... Pants and a jacket and they're good to go.... And women have more options and some mistakenly or on purpose seem to "flaunt it.". Men don't ever have to wonder about heeled shoes or strapless gowns, either.

I'll have to read the article now
default_smile.png

I read the article and thought it was great, I myself have shown in a shirt with a jacket that if you don't tuck it in tight, well, it show more then I want. Since I suffer from OA I can't bend down from the knee to adjust legs, so sometimes my rear end is up in the air. I try to teach my guys to set up without me moving their feet just for this reason. What I reallty appreciated form this article was about the facial, I've been saying for years that they should be baned.

I too really enjoyed this article. As a newer person in the show ring, I appreciate knowing that just because alot of people razor, or do long bridle paths, or whatever, doesnt mean that is what the judges are looking for. I did notice the 3 points about female attire, I just took it as "examples," of things that are seen more commonly, but again I am newer to showing, so wdik....
default_smile.png

I thought the article was spot-on. Some of the attire I've seen a few women wear in the ring - well...let's just say they were dressed more appropriately for the Jerry Springer show.

I feel vindicated -- several of these are things I was torn a new one for mentioning in the past: inappropriate evening attire and prom dresses in driving classes (ESPECIALLY on little girls), the "shaved and glazed" muzzle (aka the undertaker look, aka scar tissue effect), and bridle paths that practically meet the tail V.

AMHR needs to get permission to reprint this in The Journal. I already knew I wasn't the only one, and a judge who is regularly at Nationals echoed my distaste for these practices, but it's good to see this in print.

Even if someone wins doing doing these things, that's not likely what got them pinned.

I'll sleep the sleep of a happy woman tonight...

For those who haven't seen it, the article is here:

http://www.branchsmith.com/ebook/amha/30059_AMHA/index.html#/24/

I also remember Lyn Jacobs mentioning a clinic she attended, where a judge mentioned how they couldn't help noticing and being affected by people's behavior outside the show ring, especially parents yelling at and being nasty to their children and horses.

Whew...I don't think I did any of those. I like full length showmanship jackets, and my body is NOT built for tight, low cut tops and skirts split to the netherlands.... :D gimme slacks any day!

Susanne--I remember the long-ago thread on here about driving attire where someone made a comment something to the effect of "the Mini driving ring is where old prom dresses go to die". I don't remember who said it but I do remember that it didn't go over very well at the time!
default_yes.gif

I haven't read this new article but will have to see if I can look it up on my phone later. It doesn't load well on dial up.

Latest posts

Back