Working with Sculpey Clay or similar

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Just started trying to work with Sculpey brand clay. Bought it at the local 'Hobby Lobby' store. It's so STIFF!!!!
default_frusty.gif
Is it supposed to be that stiff. I worked it in my fingers, held it in my warm little hand, tried rolling it thinner. Tough Stuff!!!
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
Am I doing something wrong. Am I supposed to use aluminum foil as an inside base all the time or just use the clay itself? Wanted to try making some horse, dog, etc. little figurines for Christmas gifts, but I'm getting discouraged.
default_giveup.gif
Any tips for a 'newbie' at this craft???
default_please.gif
:please
default_please.gif

I haven't used Sculpey in a long time. I use Paper Clay now for everything. It is so versatile.

It would depend on how large your figurine is if you need an armature. You can use small styrofoam balls for heads, or even beads. Wrap wire in gauze to make legs/arms. Use Stiffy or diluted white glue on the gauze. The thicker your project, the longer it will take to dry.

You could possibly have got some old Sculpey; I don't remember it being that stiff. Take it back, and talk to someone in the craft section.

REO does sculpey things, I believe. Hopefully she will see your post.

Thanks. I might try what you are using too then. I will message Robin and ask her opinions too. I don't have the receipt anymore, but I will try taking back the sculpey (one opened, one not). They are pretty good on returns there. There price sticker is on it anyway.

default_xreiter.gif

Many thanks to "REO" for her help with working with the clay! I just completed my first two projects-and though they aren't the best, I am still pleased. The first was the little horse characture (sp?). It is supposed to be my Mom's little guy (hubby says it's not chubby enough-LOL!). I am thinking of putting it on a little display base. The other is a Boston Terrier head that I plan to attach to a small keepsake box or such. This is for my sister who just lost her Boston to old age and heart disease. Christmas presents-so I need to get on the ball and finish them completely. It was a bit frustrating when the perfectionist in me came out-but still very satisfying! Going to try more after the holidays.

IMG_20141222_081622_321.jpg

IMG_20141222_081701_122.jpg

Both are beautiful. Glad that Robin could lead you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back