Working smaller minis? (Under 28") EDIT: New Pics Pg. 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have a three year old filly who is 26" tall as a 3 year old. I don't think she is a dwarf (but she does come from dwarf producing lines) and I would like to work with her on lunging and maybe jumping. She'd be a heck of good little horse (not for breeding!!) when it comes to stuff like that.

I would love to work with her. She has a lot of potential and is a quick learner. She does have her conformational faults, but the more I compare her to her dam, sire, and siblings, the more I see the similarities in faults. Like, short necks, long back, cow hocks, etc. they're a BIG issue in my herd. All of my minis have those faults. She is small, but her sire has thrown small foals and has shorter minis in his lines. Her dam is around 30" and produced small with small minis in her lines.

So I am curious of your opinions of lunging her, possibly even jumping her over small jumps, and maybe doing some halter obstacle. She's a smart little devil. Never even had to train her to load the trailer. She hopped in by herself.

I'm curious on your opinions of this?

Here's some pics of the little tyke.

July 2012 (2 years)
image.jpg

June 2012
image.jpg

April 2012
image.jpg

Isn't she such a character?
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to add that I just want to give her a job instead of just being a backyard bred pony. She's smart and needs a job.

Just because she is small doesn't mean she is fragile. At 3 she is physically mature enough to work and since she will only be carrying her own weight (not ridden) she should IMO be fine. She can learn to do any of the in hand games you can think of (including tricks if you are inclined) and you can enjoy her as much as if she were a taller mini. I started my little 28" mare in harness last year and she loves it. I think your little girl will love the extra attention to. I say go for it.

Little minis can be great with obstacles--great way to adjust a young horse to things too. I would try doing some work with side passing, trotting raised cavaletti, turn on forehand, backing through small spaces, ground tie, walking over a tarp, etc,

Thanks for the input. She is registrable and I've been toying with the idea of sending in the information and paperwork. I might as well.

I wasn't sure what the consensus was on working her because of the fact that there was some worry that she was a dwarf. My vet is coming out for floatings May 1st and I'll ask her input as well.

Even if she is a dwarf (I am not going to guess one way or the other) she looks pretty sound physically. I see no reason why she can't play some in hand games with you to add some colour to her days
default_smile.png

I wouldn't rule out jumping either - well hunter anyway, and possibly jumper. Smaller minis quite often show the best form over jumps!! Start her slow of course, just over ground poles and then a cross rail and see if she likes it. One of the top jumpers at our pinto shows has been a tiny little mare that easily jumped rails higher than her. My mini would have just gone under them!

No reason why she couldn't. Go for it
default_smile.png
I'm sure she will be much happier with a job anyways!

Thanks I appreciate it. I have toyed with the idea of registering her but haven't yet. Maybe this summer before college.

Check out my website for jobs for small horses. My 28" stallion drives like a top! They love having a job.

Tremor just want to mention, if your vet looks at her and thinks she is dwarfy, dwarves do have more of an issue with early onset arthritic changes in their joints...if there was any question in my mind as to if she was dwarf or no I would pass up the jumping and stick to obstacle other low impact activities.

Tremor just want to mention, if your vet looks at her and thinks she is dwarfy, dwarves do have more of an issue with early onset arthritic changes in their joints...if there was any question in my mind as to if she was dwarf or no I would pass up the jumping and stick to obstacle other low impact activities.
In my opinion she is not. I can see so many faults in her that are genetic within my herd which both sire and dam had and have produced previously.

Compared to her full brother (3 years older) she is much better conformationally and is much more refined. The gelding, Teddy, is thick, short, stocky, dwarfish, etc. As a foal he was thicker than she was a well. Connor was refined.

I just thought I would bump this up with an updated picture of her partial clip. (Clippers quit on me...)

I don't think she's a dwarf anymore. Comparing her to her dam and her brother, she is a lot better put together. Sure, still kinda fugly but not bad.

476130_457325941020620_809948524_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping with a picture of her fully clipped!

914015_462180730535141_17213805_o.jpg

Love this girl. We've been working on showmanship and I think she has it down!!!

Gosh. Its crazy how much different the last picture is from the one from the 27th! She looks SO much different!

So excited! The horse show is still on!!!!

Hopefully Saturday morning we'll be in halter and showmanship against the biggies!

You could also do tricks with her! My guy is 28" tall and he loves to do tricks. Devil, like your girl, is incredibly smart, but gets bored with something very quickly. He jumps but its not that fun for him I think. We have been doing tricks for 5(?) months and its a load of fun! He knows rear, wave, sit, lay down, smile, and we also do liberty training. He follows me around and reads my body language. When I spin around in place, he knows to run around me. If I start to back up, he backs up with me without any force. He also knows his gaits. When I take long steps, he walks. When I take short choppy steps, he trots. And when I start to run and pump my arms, he can loap or gallop. But he always stays by my side, which now he has a habit of because whenever I work around the pasture, he is glued to my side LOL!!

Latest posts

Back