Working Out In Winter Months. . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~katie~

Reaction score
Well as you know I am the proud owner of a sweet soon to be gelding (this month or the next which ever is cooler) that I am going to be showing in some local halter horse shows. It's the only one around here that will allow for minis to show so I am just going to have fun with it. . .and you see there aren't any minis that actually DO show so I want to show everyone that mini's can compete against the big guys too so. . .

I need to know - I am going to be working him out during the winter because the show season starts the second saturday in February and ends the second saturday in November. . .I need to get him 100% fit & buff by then.

Right now he is somewhat fat and definately needs more muscel tone. I am going to be lunging him and thats all. So. . .how long should I lunge him and are there any other methods for getting a horse really buffed? What should I feed him? Right now he is on a balanced feed called "Strategy" though I also have "Horseman's Egde" available but it has more fat and less protein as where Strategy has more protein than fat. . .so which one is best? He also has a slat-block for free use.

I think he just mostly has a hay belly as I can feel his ribs he just has a lot of fat on the neck and lower stomach.

Any tips would be lovely!

I Think you will get a flood of answers on everything from nutrition to exercise. I am going to start with drive him ( my answer for everything) and give him some grain. The fact you can feel his ribs but he has a pot belly to me indicates his diet has been suffering. I would cut back his hay, give him a good sweet feed and possibly some soaked beet pulp for the fiber. You did not mention his age but my assumption is its a mature horse.

Back