Working at the Polls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working at the polls again this week. I really don't like it, as it is a long 14 hour day and I'm used to being busy and outdoors. Really have to plan to be away all day with flowers and animals! I had to do some online courses this time and sign an avadavit that I watched the videos! One was to do with the virus-thing and how the polls are dealing with it. I feel it is a civic duty; somebody has to do it and I have no excuse not to. "I don't like it" isn't a very good excuse...

The polls were pretty busy; nearly half the registered voters in the precinct turned out. Lots of confusion over what Independants can vote for, and people thinking they were registered one party but weren't, and people who thought they were on the roll and weren't. One black man came in and wanted to philosophize. He was nice, and genuinely concerned about what's going on, but we had to tell him that we weren't allowed to talk about politics while working! The County Commissioner won by 2 votes; don't know if his opponent will ask for a recount. The day was lots more interesting than poll days usually are. Glad it's over. I may be out of town for the November election!

You did a good thing. I had a friend that worked at the polls every year. She loved it! She loved politics so she was in heaven. Last time I tried to vote they would not let me because they said I had not registered even though I had. Dan and I registered at the same time and he was on the list but not me. Since then I am embarassed to say I have not voted.

You did a good thing. I had a friend that worked at the polls every year. She loved it! She loved politics so she was in heaven. Last time I tried to vote they would not let me because they said I had not registered even though I had. Dan and I registered at the same time and he was on the list but not me. Since then I am embarassed to say I have not voted.
They should have filled out a provisional ballot for you.
In our county, if a voter hasn't cast a ballot in three years, he is removed from the roll and has to re-register.

The recount for the County Commissioner was done today. My husband was an Observer. The candidate who demands the recount has to put up $600, which he loses if the count goes against him.
First there was a court hearing with witnesses to determine if anything had been tampered with or there were any irregularities. Once the judge ruled on that favorably, then the count began. Every vote was hand counted. We are a small county, but the process still took 4 hours! The count was the same at the end--the candidate won by two votes.
This election has been an excellent education in civics and the election process.

Worked at the polls again yesterday. The precinct where I worked is mostly rural folk, so it was not hectic. Lots of absentee and early voters this year so it was lighter on actual polling day. We did have a couple of voters who got on a soapbox. And some who came in with political slogans on their caps/clothes which we had to admonish. One voter had to go into the kitchen to turn the sweatshirt inside out. Overall, very quiet and a looong day. One precinct had a covid voter call and ask if he/she could vote. The precinct workers went out to the car to accommodate the voter. When the required two precinct workers leave the room, the polls must close until they return. At my precinct we had to go out to the car for a voter who couldn't walk. I got up at 5 am to get myself together and get to the polls by 6:30. Help set up all the equipment and post all the notices. Stay for 12 hours in a room. Close the polls, secure all the equipment and pack everything up. Got home at 8:30. I am paid $100. Staying in a room for 12 hours is the hardest part for this country girl. I only saw my horses in the dark!

That's awesome that you are willing to serve like that Marsha. It is truly a privilege to vote and you help make it happen. I haven't been to a poll in quite a few years since I signed up for a mail in ballot which I usually take to a drop off location. I always wondered what do they do with the ballots when all counts are final and the election is over?

It is nice that you take your civic duty seriously Marsha. We'd all be in trouble if everyone decided, nah, not feeling it today. I hope the voter turn out was good all over. It amazes me how many people don't vote. I hate politics, but I vote. I like Willow's question, do you know what they do with the ballots afterwards?

Everything is returned to the Election Board office. Some men carry everything into the building where workers, who are paid or volunteers, begin the process of counting the votes. Representatives of the main parties are present. Our polls use an eScan, which is an electronic machine (weighs a ton!) which talleys electronically the paper ballots. When the polls close, we print out several tickets. One is enclosed in a sealed box with the ballots, one is included in the sealed unused ballot boxes, one is posted on the entrance doors to the polls (so people can come immediately and see results). The workers at the Election Board building, supervised by the Election Board Secretary, then tally the votes. At no time are the eScan or ballots left unattended. Some states use a different voting method, but that is what we use.
We were required to take a class. It was rather intimidating because of the responsibility. But, it really isn't that hard to do.

Worked at the polls again yesterday. The precinct where I worked is mostly rural folk, so it was not hectic. Lots of absentee and early voters this year so it was lighter on actual polling day. We did have a couple of voters who got on a soapbox. And some who came in with political slogans on their caps/clothes which we had to admonish. One voter had to go into the kitchen to turn the sweatshirt inside out. Overall, very quiet and a looong day. One precinct had a covid voter call and ask if he/she could vote. The precinct workers went out to the car to accommodate the voter. When the required two precinct workers leave the room, the polls must close until they return. At my precinct we had to go out to the car for a voter who couldn't walk. I got up at 5 am to get myself together and get to the polls by 6:30. Help set up all the equipment and post all the notices. Stay for 12 hours in a room. Close the polls, secure all the equipment and pack everything up. Got home at 8:30. I am paid $100. Staying in a room for 12 hours is the hardest part for this country girl. I only saw my horses in the dark!

I copied your note to a FB Horsey Playdays group I run in SW Oklahoma, Marsha. Thank you for your service!

Worked at the polls yesterday. It was pretty busy for our rural precincts.
One of the hardest things I find working at the polls is being shut up with 5 people all day, listening to them, having to see grandchildren on phones, tiptoeing around sensitive subjects, and in general learning there is life outside my little sanctuary--and sometimes not life as I am comfortable with. I do get an education in modern jargon. I found out Homecoming kings are no longer allowed "to lay one on" the queen. What does that mean? A kiss. I gathered the prohibition was made after one king and queen "laid one on" too vulgarly.
My workmates were all very nice folks, happy to do their civic duty at the polls. I am just worn out from 14 hours mewed up with my fellow man. And I didn't even have a chance to see my horses all day. Off to the pasture now for some quiet time.

I can imagine that working the polls is a very boring endeavor, but a valued service to our communities. I'm sure your appreciated for your helpfulness. I have never done it myself, but for the last 6 years or so (took a break this election cycle) I have gone knocking on doors for days on end and worked at phone banks to get people to vote. The bummer of doing this is that when the weather is nasty, as it can be in November, it makes it so unpleasant to be outside. So funny, I come back to my little mini farm to relax as well, but I don't usually find that solitude in my pasture but rather in the barn picking Poop! It's such a mindless task that I just relax and listen to podcasts.

Dead voters usually mail in, not go to the polls. Too hard to drive once you are deceased. In other news my state elected a dead person, so I guess that should be exciting. Also we don't have homecoming kings and queens here, it's gender neutral homecoming royalty, but they still have 2 of them. No kissing or dancing is involved. You couldn't get me near the polls, it seems like a risky job lately. I'm so glad there are people like you willing to provide a very important service.

Dead voters usually mail in, not go to the polls. Too hard to drive once you are deceased. In other news my state elected a dead person, so I guess that should be exciting. Also we don't have homecoming kings and queens here, it's gender neutral homecoming royalty, but they still have 2 of them. No kissing or dancing is involved. You couldn't get me near the polls, it seems like a risky job lately. I'm so glad there are people like you willing to provide a very important service.

The dead man won 86% of the vote. The vote proceeded as required by state law. Cannot stop the presses to reprint the ballot forms after a candidate dies there.

Latest posts

Back