Working at the Polls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
I am working at the polls again this week. I really don't like it, as it is a long 14 hour day and I'm used to being busy and outdoors. Really have to plan to be away all day with flowers and animals! I had to do some online courses this time and sign an avadavit that I watched the videos! One was to do with the virus-thing and how the polls are dealing with it. I feel it is a civic duty; somebody has to do it and I have no excuse not to. "I don't like it" isn't a very good excuse...

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
The polls were pretty busy; nearly half the registered voters in the precinct turned out. Lots of confusion over what Independants can vote for, and people thinking they were registered one party but weren't, and people who thought they were on the roll and weren't. One black man came in and wanted to philosophize. He was nice, and genuinely concerned about what's going on, but we had to tell him that we weren't allowed to talk about politics while working! The County Commissioner won by 2 votes; don't know if his opponent will ask for a recount. The day was lots more interesting than poll days usually are. Glad it's over. I may be out of town for the November election!

Cayuse

Reaction score
You did a good thing. I had a friend that worked at the polls every year. She loved it! She loved politics so she was in heaven. Last time I tried to vote they would not let me because they said I had not registered even though I had. Dan and I registered at the same time and he was on the list but not me. Since then I am embarassed to say I have not voted.

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
You did a good thing. I had a friend that worked at the polls every year. She loved it! She loved politics so she was in heaven. Last time I tried to vote they would not let me because they said I had not registered even though I had. Dan and I registered at the same time and he was on the list but not me. Since then I am embarassed to say I have not voted.
They should have filled out a provisional ballot for you.
In our county, if a voter hasn't cast a ballot in three years, he is removed from the roll and has to re-register.

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
The recount for the County Commissioner was done today. My husband was an Observer. The candidate who demands the recount has to put up $600, which he loses if the count goes against him.
First there was a court hearing with witnesses to determine if anything had been tampered with or there were any irregularities. Once the judge ruled on that favorably, then the count began. Every vote was hand counted. We are a small county, but the process still took 4 hours! The count was the same at the end--the candidate won by two votes.
This election has been an excellent education in civics and the election process.

Latest posts