Work Work Work Work Work......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I just came in for my morning break, and I'm already worn out.

Do you ever feel like all you do is work "for" your horses?

Where did the "fun time" go?

I work at home for the total support of my horses. When I am not inside working to earn a living for them, I'm outside working for them.

Seems like the last couple of months especially, I've been building fences, gates, digging, hauling, gathering rocks, setting posts, mowing the pastures, stripping stalls and adding shavings and worrying.

I can't seem to get a "handle" on enough time.

By the time I am done with the day's chores, I'm too exhausted to think about clipping or conditioning another tail.

I'd like a little bit more "fun time" with them. I'd like the frills again!

Everyone still gets quality one on one time daily, but not as much as I'd like.

Today, the boys and I are putting up more fencing. It seems like it's never going to end! I'd much rather be doing their baths and having a blast with them in the suds.

Pardon the venting.

Am I alone here on this one?

Marty I am happier now with the few horses we have than when we had a barnful that all required work and personal attention on a daily basis. Call it old age. Its tragic that our lives are put together backwards and we get old when we can appreciate the things we did in our youth. I will email you Georges plan for life. The down side is if the thought of reducing numbers to reduce time requirements there is no way to make any decisions about who goes. We have told ourselves this horse has a home for life, that horse requires special care and could not be properly cared for anyplace else, those are to cute to go and these are favorites that cannot possibly be parted with.

That is one reason we have & are reducing our herd. I have my routine that I go through. Some things I will compromise on but some I will not... I use to brush my horses a minimun two times a week. Once I convinced myself that is not necessary it does not bother me any more... Hey Marty, take some time off. Let something go that really does not matter. If there is hay on the floor or messy manes, is it really going to bother the horses?

Lately, I kind of live for Thursday afternoon - Sunday, because that's the only time I have to have "fun" with the horses! I leave my house around 7am Monday - Wednesday, sometimes Thursday, and am in and out of client / prospect appointments until 8pm many nights and in between doing planning work for the clients / prospects! BUT, I don't see clients on Fridays and rarely on Thursdays so I get to have fun. I even enjoy feeding and watering the horses because I don't normally get to do that during the work week (Harvey does it). Luckily, all our horses are fairly low-maintanence, easy keepers. The way we care for them, with letting them be outside as much as they like, does cut down on the work and (know you don't agree) it is the healthiest way for them to live.

I don't have too many horses, I have too much construction. If I have to stack another pile of boards I think I'll take up yodeling in lew of screaming.

I've been told in the past that the way I like to keep my horses is "too high maintenence" but I prefer it like that. I don't like my horses to be ratty looking and go without one on one time daily.

Maybe so.

Jerry says my "standards" of horse care have always been too much fuss.

But if I miss one day of grooming I get mortified.

I'd rather spend my time grooming and training than digging in the dirt. Hopefully all the construction will end soon and I'll be able to free up more time for the wash rack!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty said:
I've been told in the past that the way I like to keep my horses is "too high maintenence" but I prefer it like that. I don't like my horses to be ratty looking and go without one on one time daily.
Hey, now, those might be fighting words
rolleyes.gif
I never thought my horses look ratty. They are not running short of love, grooming or petting I don't believe. And, I truly feel they prefer the freedome to be in or out at their choice. There's more than one good way to take care of horses
yes.gif

O h I couldn't agree more and I'm only 15 1/2!!!!! Between school, riding my 2 regular size horsies, a boyfriend, and keeping everything healthy and clean for the horses, somehow I still have extra time. My horses are brushed about once a week, fed twice a day, excersized 4 days a week, and then daily care goes into that. I also pay for all my horse expenses so I have two jobs as well. Busy life I tell ya -and I'm only 15 1/2.

No matter how much time I have to spend with my horses, I still want more!

I have always led a very busy life, with running my own business, volunteering for various groups, playing music with our own trio and several other ensembles, yada yada yada...but now that I am owned by three minis I find that I resent time spent away from them. I've scaled back on some of my activities in order to spend more time with my boys.

To say my life is chaotic would be an understatement as it's just me without anyone else to help out!!!

Last night I asked my dog if she would fold my laundry for me - how's that for desparate?!!! It didn't happen...

Every night I have set aside one hour of quiet time with my horses, from 7:00pm - 8:00pm. I don't answer the phone, don't do chores, nothing. That's my time to relax, and to enjoy my horses. We play together, groom, scratch, etc. I used to believe that I didn't "have" that extra hour. Well, I managed to find my one hour and it's so peaceful!

I couldn't agree with you more, Marty. After the "chinese fire drill" Hurricane Dennis brought this past weekend...OMG. I am SOO tired...the prospect of getting up at 4:00 this morning to get them fed AGAIN almost killed me. I have to get up that early to get them fed and get my other stuff done so I can get to work on time...I was still late this morning...I think I lost my tail on the way in here today...it sure was dragging when I left home.

I do often feel the same way you do about it not being fun anymore. All I do is work (here at work) drive an hour home, then feed the zoo. We have so many added stresses right now, that doesn't help...I need to find a MULTI-VITAMIN!!!
laugh.gif

Marty, It sounds like you are in need of a vacation from the "work" of your horses. When it becomes work instead of enjoyment, it is time for a change but only you can decide what you can live with and live without. We bought our minis to enjoy and if they become "work" we will just have to make changes. Right now, my hubby does most of the work [we have 10 minis] simply because he enjoys it and I have some health problems that prevents me from doing as much as I would like to. My worry is that he will have another stroke and then I won't be able to keep up with things the way I think they should be done. Sometimes decisions as to what the best thing to do can be very difficult. Some days I think we should only have our 2 driving horses but other days I am just selfish enough to want to keep them all because I do enjoy having them around. Just stop and analyze your situation and I am sure you will decide what is best for you. Mary
yes.gif

Marty said:
I just came in for my morning break, and I'm already worn out.
Do you ever feel like all you do is work "for" your horses?

Where did the "fun time" go?

I work at home for the total support of my horses. When I am not inside working to earn a living for them, I'm outside working for them.

Seems like the last couple of months especially,  I've been building fences, gates, digging, hauling, gathering rocks, setting posts, mowing the pastures, stripping stalls and adding shavings and worrying.

I can't seem to get a "handle" on enough time.

By the time I am done with the day's chores, I'm too exhausted to think about clipping or conditioning another tail.

I'd like a little bit more "fun time" with them. I'd like the frills again!

Everyone still gets quality one on one time daily, but not as much as I'd like.

Today, the boys and I are putting up more fencing. It seems like it's never going to end! I'd much rather be doing their baths and having a blast with them in the suds.

Pardon the venting.

Am I alone here on this one?

422486[/snapback]

Oh Marty, I do the same thing, and yes, all that work does get tiring.

I think what you need is a reality check... You SPOIL your horses like no other, and that is SO cool. Think about what it would be like if all your horses, INCLUDING pregnant Holly, were in a home with no care, no good hay, and horror of horrors, no scrunchies!

I think you need to realize how much your horses appreciate all the work you do for them! I just think about the barn where Peanut came from (( no good bedding, icky feed/dirty water, and no love!)) and I am immediatly happier to be making his life as good as possible.

Its a lot better then it would have been. I don't think my fat little boy could have fit too comfortably in a dog food can
biggrin.gif

You are a GREAT horsie mom, and yes, the work can get tiring, but remember why you are doing it. You love those horses, and they love you!

No matter how much time I have to spend with my horses, I still want more!

That's what I mean Susanne.

There's more than one good way to take care of horses

Sure is Jilly and today they are having a blast out there slopping in the mud left over from yestarday's remnants of Hurricane Dennis. Now why would I want to bathe them now and spoil all their fun?
biggrin.gif
(It's killing me though)

I want more time working "with them" than "for them"

Sorry I think I just have "construction burn out" today. It'll all get done eventually I hope.

Oh Marty, the fun is just beginning. As you keep having babies and telling yourself that this one or that one will definetly be sold, but then they creep into your heart and become one of the family, your numbers increase before you know it, and then it is hard to have any time to yourself but horse stuff. Hubby was just complaining about that the other day. I try to cut bridle paths on everyone at least 3 times a year, the ones that just are pasture pets, well hopefully they get groomed 1 every month. Anyone that is going to foal or go out in public gets groomed and cleaned up of course right before. When you get up to 28 it is hard to keep every body clean and spiffy all the time. They do get an eye check from top to bottom everyday and most get morning kisses and evening kisses if they are willing which most are. And of course both hubby and I work, have to to support the mini habbit, well I do anyway.

no.gif
I just wish there was a way to get rid of the job away from home.

But, no job away from home, no money for the horses at home.

No horses at home, don't need the job away from home.

wacko.gif
wacko.gif

I'm up at 5, at work by 6:30a.m. and generally don't get home till 6:00 p.m. I have 9 minis and 2 foals, and 5 large horses, 2 dogs, and 4 cats. We are ALWAYS doing some remodeling project. Right now we are drilling holes in our round pen panels to add boards at the bottom so I don't have to worry about my babies laying down and ending up on the other side. I'm talking about approximately 20 panels! We are adding a stall in the barn and I am painting the ouside of all the stalls (6). We are starting a hay storage barn in addition to making fence repairs so I can move my 2 yr old stallion out in the big pasture so I can move my breeding stallion and his mares back in my fescue infested mini pasture until 3 months before they deliver if they get pregnant at all. Hubby says SELL, SELL, SELL. I'm like you Marty, I love to spend time with my horses, bathing, brushing and clipping. I'd also like to occasionly ride my Spanish Mustang and TW. I love a spotless barn with clean isles and flowers growing under the covered patio (my new "porch" at my barn. I just wish there were 48 hours in a day instead of 24.

Marty, when I got so badly hurt I really thought I would have to give up my kids. I have not missed a day of working with them, stalls and all through herniated discs 3 times, broken feet, one each year, broken ribs. Sheesh! I did cut back from 12 to 6. THIS summer I am finding it much easier and quicker for a few reasons.

1. I quit being a barn snob, stalls get cleansed of poop and pee removed with a pic not a shovel and stalls get stirred and bedded on weekends when the guys are home. Takes me about an hour total and that's with a break after each stall.

2. I got those tiny pink flat backed buckets, easy to empty and refill and carry with out killing myself.

3. I do not stack or move hay. I find someone to do that. I have a long handled chicken catcher to pull bales down as I need them.

4. Bedding I get 2 loads a week if needed. The farm I get it from is Amish. First time I went there I backed in and got out to load and there was an Amish boy about 10 already loading! I gave him a dollar. I went back the next day for more and there were 3 little boys...SO CUTE....and they filled the truck in under 5 minutes and yes...they each got a dollar! Unloading is hard but I take an entire day to do it.

5. Grooming is when i feel up to it. They are horses and they love to be dirty. I have had alot of visitors lately and even horsey dirty... they all have loved them. I keep fanny wipes in the cupboard out there for dirty fingers.

I figure they are happy, they are healthy... I use your idea really...I should thank you and use it yourself silly! KISS "keep it simple silly!!!"

Marty, if yours are anything like all the other horses I know, they may not like the bath but if you let them loose before dry they do love to make more mud
smile.gif

Marty, your construction will be done (someday) and you can stop hauling lumber and get back to the HORSEY stuff!
yes.gif

i felt like that last year. I was crowded i was well within my limits on horses but still was to many - I am totally anal about my horses all being turned out all day in a area enough to really run and play in.

I had at one point some doubled up in stalls and now.. i have 2 empty stalls in my barn and that is with 2 horses having double stalls so technically 4 empty stalls and it is so much easier.

Latest posts

Back