Wool blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yvonne

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I got two miniature horses and during the winter things often get cold and wet. Perfect for wool blankets since wool won't get cold when it gets wet. Perfect to put on a sweaty horse too.

The problem is that I can't find any wool blankets in mini sizes in my country Norway.

Does anyone know where there are wool blankets for sale for minis and who also ships to Norway?

Wool might not get cold when wet, but if the blanket it wet through to the horse and the horse is wet/damp under the blanket for a period of time, you may get rain rot or other skin crud developing. Just my opinion based on my tender skinned, hot house flower of a welsh pony :)
As far as finding wool blankets, there is a tack shop called "Just for Ponies" in Maryland. They might have wool or wool blend or maybe could point you in the right direction.

That’s interesting about how the soaked wool could cause skin issues. I’d always heard it was somewhat rain resistant, but didn’t think about when it gets soaked.

Hi Yvonne neat that you are in Norway. I hope you find the blankets for your horses.

A thought, do you know anyone that weaves and makes blankets that may be able to make one the size you need?

I would hate to wear a wet wool blanket if I were a horse. I have wool liners (homemade) for my new born foals--i use them under other blankets and only use them in dry weather or as stable blankets. A good waterproof blanket will absolutely keep a horse dry and can be put on a sweaty or wet horse.

Hi guys!

I got two miniature horses and during the winter things often get cold and wet. Perfect for wool blankets since wool won't get cold when it gets wet. Perfect to put on a sweaty horse too.

The problem is that I can't find any wool blankets in mini sizes in my country Norway.

Does anyone know where there are wool blankets for sale for minis and who also ships to Norway?
If you have access to a fabric store, you could buy synthetic fleece. by the yard and create a blanket liner that will pull the water out if the coat and pill on the top of your liner. It works well for me and I have successful done this for years to dry wet coats. One yard of fleece will make one liner, folded with folded edge on top, cutting a slanted
piece off the yardage to form the main piece into the shape from the withers to center of chest
. hand sew strips of fleece to tie chest closed and around belly make wider strips, to secure cover in place. sewing skills not needed to make it very easily. I am on mobile now, but can send diagram when at home computer. I have also found synthetic wool pulls the water out of the coat very well always used coolers made of that to dry wet horses for years.

Latest posts

Back