WOOHOO!!! Hippity Hoppity, Hippity Hoppity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
Well, foaling season here at Last Chance Miniatures is now complete. We had a DANDY year!! 1 colt and 4 fillies, and I'll be keeping 2 of the fillies myself! :aktion033:

This beauty was born this morning...maybe around 9:30. Things were kind of hectic with the delivery, so I never really looked at the time.

This mare's due date was April 16-22. She never started making bag until April 8, and that was the first signs. It was FAAAAAAR from what I consider ready, and I had not even had her in under camera! Then the last couple of days I noticed she was looking a little pointier in the croup. I finally brought her in from the pasture just last night. Her tail was NOT loose...there ws lots of resistence there. Her vulva was not loose and relaxed, but I thought it's better to be safe than sorry, so I brought her in.

I put the halter monitor on her, went out for "tuck-in" at 10:30. All was OK. I went to bed at about 1:00am, and all was OK. I slept in my own bed and room and thought if it goes off I will just go downstairs to look at the monitor. Next thing I knew, it was 8:20am. I commented on how considerate she was to let me have a good sleep. Went downstairs and looked at the monitor. She was laying there flat out and the beeper did not even go off! Not sure if it malfunctioned or if she just was timed so that she just laid down when I got up. But either way, I noticed she looked to be breathing fast short breaths. I grabbed the foaling kit and out to the barn I went.

Watched for awhile, and saw the waters break, the bubble appear, followed quite quickly bt the head and one leg...ONE leg! :new_shocked: I went in and tried finding the other, and I just couldn't. I ran to the house, hollered at my husband to come help NOW and take your ring and watch off too! He tried to find the leg too, and neither of us could.

I called the vet, her said he would get changed(was probably just ready to go to Easter Church service) and head out. We are an hour and a half away! He said to try pulling the foal like that. I tried pulling the mare into standing up, but no luck. We flipped her over, and I even helf her hind legs in the air for a bit to see if he could feel anything that way. Nothing! After trying hopelessly to get that other leg for what seemed like an eternity, we decided to do what the vet said, and pull. We had tried earlier, but it was like it would not come any firther than the head and one leg. FINALLY, with my pulling the leg, and my husband pulling the neck, we felt it "give" a little, and then we were able to pull the rest of the way. The leg was kind of tucked in and back...not straight back, but kind of folded up like a ckicken wing. AND, the foal was ALIVE!!!!!

She is a beautiful black pinto.
default_wub.png
: She's my second keeper for the year!! Thank God she made it here alive, and that I had my husband here to help, as I know I never would have gotten her out on my own, and maybe by the time the vet arrived, it may have been too late!!

She is still unnamed as of yet. Too much excitement this morning. Taking me awhile to unwind My 4 year old grandson asked me what her name was. I told him I did not have a name for her yet. He asked me when I would, I said maybe by later on this afternoon. He said, "How about Jayleen...I like that name". So maybe that will have to be her "barn name".

Well, this has been a record for me, and I LOVED it! My whole foaling season from start to finish was April 1 to 16! Well, longer if you include a couple weeks mare stare before that, but the first foal was born April Fool's Day and the l;ast one today, on Easter Sunday!

easterfilly.jpg

easterfilly2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a cutie! Congrats on your Easter gift and on your two keepers!

Woohoo!! Congrats on such a wonderful bunch of foals! Foaling season is so exciting..I love it
default_wub.png
:

-Kris

Congratulations Mona!!!! She is a DOLL!!!!!
default_wub.png
:

Glad to hear that she was delivered safely, even with the problems! :aktion033:

Nancy
default_smile.png

You had quite a morning. Glad all turned out so well.

That is one nice looking filly.

Congratulations!

Congratulations!!! Beautiful filly and good save!

I had one born like that last year. My daughter was home from college when Stary Night went into labor. We both went to the barn. Everything looked good with the bubble coming out. I went in to check for position and all I could find was the head and one leg! The mare was starting to get violent at this point, throwing herself around the stall. I told my daughter to come in and help me try to get the mare up. Hoping that would reposition the foal. We could NOT make that mare get up no matter how hard we pulled on her halter. So, I decided I had no choice but try to deliver the foal that way. Pulled hard and sure enough, out came the foal with one leg back! Alive and healthy. So it can be done!

Mona,, that was wonderful you were able to get the foal out and such a beauty too! Congrats!! :aktion033: :lol:

Wow, she's beautiful!

I mean...jeez, you can already see it.
default_smile.png

No wonder you made the decision to keep her.

Congratulations, such a momentous birth!!! Great job by all but give Mom an extra hug from me, that sounds miserable.

Liz M.

WOW...Mona you have really been busy.....and all of them are so nice
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033: And I think you deserved it all
default_yes.gif
: I was going to aske you on the color post if that was Liley's filly? Did you figure out what color she is? Also will you hang on to that filly fairy and send her just a littlebit south???....Congradulations.....Carrie

Glad everything turned out great for you! What a beautiful girl. Congratulations!

congrats3.gif

Congratulations on a pretty filly! Thank heaven things worked out for you, good job!

what a beautiful girl!! im so happy it turned out well HAPPY EASTER

Mona..I am so HAPPY for you!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

She is just gorgeous and the filly fairy was very good to you!!!
default_wub.png
:

I had 4 in 14 days about 2 yrs. ago..it was the best...they all foaled just like clockwork and made my mare stare almost enjoyable!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Oh Look! Its an oreo cookie!!!! Congratulations on a beautiful baby. The bunny forgot to leave me some today![/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back