wooden wheels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keely2682

Reaction score
it seems that quite a few amha people use wooden wheels in country pleasure

i have yet to see them in amhr

why?

i love wooden wheels and plan to show amhr with them on my country horse this year

You can use them in AMHR in Country or Western.

I can't speak for everybody else, but for me they're too heavy to carry around, I'm sharing a cart between horses, wire wheels are easier to deal with.

You can use them in AMHR in Country or Western.

I can't speak for everybody else, but for me they're too heavy to carry around, I'm sharing a cart between horses, wire wheels are easier to deal with.

Plus, how deep the ring is can be a challenge, too. Harder to pull in a deep ring wth wooden wheels than with tires.

Lucy

with as hard as the ring at nationals was packed, i hardly think footing would be a problem for wooden wheels there (my chariot pulled fine with wooden wheels at a gallop)

i assume our regionals and other large shows would have similarly prepared rings

i try to have a cart for each horse so wooden wheels would not make for a difficult time with swapping

would judges like it though, or are wooden wheels frowned upon in r???

I think it may very well be a case where "No one else does it, I'd feel weird!" If just a few people would start doing it I suspect others would come out of the woodwork and join them. I'd love to use wood wheels and hopefully next year will have the spare cash to upgrade my cart to an open-wheeled model.

Leia

I've seen wooden wheels in Amhr shows in the country pleasure class it looks great no question about that.

I just think some people don't use them because they feel they are too heavy but if your horse can handel it nicely you should be fine.

my big b size minis should have no problem pulling it

not sure i'd expect my 30" stallion to try though

with as hard as the ring at nationals was packed, i hardly think footing would be a problem for wooden wheels there (my chariot pulled fine with wooden wheels at a gallop)

i assume our regionals and other large shows would have similarly prepared rings
Not always. The ring at the Ft Worth Stock show was so soft Jane's horse quit and refused to pull, and she had a regular Jerald cart. My guy was struggling and could hardly walk, and I had a Jerald, too. And if you are in an outside ring and it rains- forget it!

Plus, if you need to work him beforehand sometimes the warm-up rings are horrid....

Personally, I think they look gorgeous, though!

Lucy

i try to have a cart for each horse so wooden wheels would not make for a difficult time with swapping

would judges like it though, or are wooden wheels frowned upon in r???
I've never seen it make a difference either way with the judges. It makes a prettier turn out for dressage. In the show world really makes no difference except for what other's have pointed out that the extra weight might actually hurt you in a soft arena.

I think also sometimes that it has to do with scheduling. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the beautiful (albeit wet and cold) PNW, AMHR shows are written with halter classes all day and the driving classes of all divisions one after another from about 6pm until the show is over for the day. If you are driving country horses, and SPD horses back to back, putting on wooden wheels is just one more thing to think about at a time when you're frantically trying to get all horses hitched, "headed" and warmed up.

I have a beautiful set of wooden wheels that have been used only in AMHA classes for this very reason.

Latest posts

Back