Wooden Wheels- 30"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keely2682

Reaction score
Does anyone show at AMHR nationals with wooden wheels?

I have an impossible time keeping chrome ones from pitting in our salt air. I'm temped to give up on chrome and put wood ones on my Houghton. (I think 30" ones because my horses are almost 38".) My horses show country and wcp classes so the wheels should be legal. I haven't seen many R people showing with them though.

any thoughts? pictures of carts with 30" wheels?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tryed to show at nationals this year with 28" wooden wheels and the ring is way to hard! The cart bouces to much in the ring. I was happy that i had my rubber wheels and i did put them back on and my horse went much better!! Here is a picture of a work cart on her that is just like the show one She is a 35" mare
n1612482555_28728_9870.jpg

I have an impossible time keeping chrome ones from pitting in our salt air. I'm temped to give up on chrome and put wood ones on my Houghton. (I think 30" ones because my horses are almost 38".) My horses show country and wcp classes so the wheels should be legal. I haven't seen many R people showing with them though.

any thoughts? pictures of carts with 30" wheels?
To measure for the size of wheel you need set the cart up on blocks till the shafts are sitting level or slightly uphill on the horse you want to use them for and then measure the distance from the axle to the ground.

Other than having to use closed wheels for roadster there are no rules specifying wooden, wire or metal spokes on your cart - you can use what you like so no worries about whether wooden spokes are legal or not in any driving class in the breed show ring.

The problem with using wooden wheels in a Miniature show ring is that they tend to cut into the softer surface of an indoor arena, creating drag and make it harder for your horse to pull. The wider the tire the better it stays on top of the surface and creates less drag. You may find that your horse won't be able to give as good a performance with the wooden wheels. That is why you seldom see wooden wheels in the National show ring.

I have an impossible time keeping chrome ones from pitting in our salt air. I'm temped to give up on chrome and put wood ones on my Houghton.

I hear you Keely,

The combination of poor metal prep and a cut corners approach to chrome plating are at play here. I would doubt that the wheels are domestically produced and are most likely a product of "free trade " policies. I call it the Kmart mentality. In the end its a very poor trade because if it had been done correctly, (just) salt air would not be doing that.

Let us know what you decide and pics of course.

Have a great day everybody,

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

www.grahamcarriageworks.com

To measure for the size of wheel you need set the cart up on blocks till the shafts are sitting level or slightly uphill on the horse you want to use them for and then measure the distance from the axle to the ground.
Remember though that wooden wheels are measured without the rubber. They are measured from felloe to felloe (wood to wood without the "tire" [metal] or the rubber). So if you are going to measure in the above way, make sure your supplier knows that you mean the entire wheel inc. rubber, or your wheels will come too big. (Been there, done that.....
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Myrna

Latest posts

Back