Wood Projects.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

I have done the subject "Wood Work" (I call Manual Arts), Since the first day of 8th grade. I have collected up a fair few projects over the years, I am now in year 11, senior and have continued into Furnishings. I personally love it.

Only problem is, I have no use for it all lol. So they just sit in my room and collect dust- well some of them do anyway. So I decided to dust them all off and share them here if anyone is interested, Id also love to see others wood projects too!

I'll try put them in order from oldest to the most recent project:

Truck: Grade 8- Actually my second job, my very first I gave to my Nan.

1zcmws2.jpg

Spice Rack: Grade 8.

xmoklf.jpg

Carry Case: Grade 9.

jr7crd.jpg

Camp Chair: Grade 9.

30liiw0.jpg

Coffee Table: Grade 9.

27wypzn.jpg

Stool: Grade 10.

15xwaau.jpg

CD Holder: Grade 10.

2ic7ju8.png

Bedside Table: Grade 10.

11jp76b.jpg

Pot Stand: Grade 10.

1z9bg2.jpg

Vanity Mirror: Grade 11 *Current* My brother did Furnishings therefore he has made the Vanity Mirror, So I took a photo of his to show what the end product will look like- First photo is mine, still in the workshop. Second one is my brothers.

25p0rbt.jpg

------------------------------------------------

So they are pretty much my projects over the past 3 and a bit years. I didnt include the small end projects that we do when we complete our main projects. But we made things like a plastic photo frames, spinning tops carved on the Lathe ect.

Now that I am in Furnishings, I am down in the Senior Workshops therefore I get to industrial machinery and will be doing more detailed work.
default_smile.png

Please share yours!
default_smile.png

Beautiful work! I think that it's awesome that you have classes like that at your school. I think it is important to teach students practical crafting skills, plus I bet it was a lot of fun. We had woodshop in middle school when I was a kid. Well...boys took woodshop and girls took home economics, then they changed the name to "practical arts" and "tech ed" to sound more politically correct. My mom argued with the principal to get the school to let me take woodshop with the boys when I was in 6th grade, they finally joined the 20th century and made the classes coed when I was in the 7th grade but then cut the classes in 8th due to budget cuts and have yet to bring them back to the local school 15 years later.

Ours were always elective. I took Home Ec AND Technology so i made a bunch of stuff. The only class i was ever the top student in thought was child development. I was interested in the science and the psychology of it all. actual kids? Could not care less. LOL

Thanks amysue
default_smile.png

I love that our school offers it, besides I am the only girl in my class
default_thumbdown.gif
Ours are elective too, in grade 8 Woodwork and Metal work were compulsory.

I was going to do for grade 11, Furnishings, Engineering and Construction. But I love Ancient History and Agriculture too much lol.

Nice work! I can use a mitre saw, but a table saw would scare me to death. My uncle, who did intricate woodwork since he was a young boy, decided to take a woodworking class at the local university when he was 80. Class was coed, and he got distracted and cut off the end joint of his finger on a saw. So, I'm not sure coed classes are a good thing...

Ouch! Geez that would hurt so much! Our teachers tell us so many stories about past students in their classes. One guy in a class was messing with the nail gun and shot another guy in the side of the head, the glasses just saved it from doing huge damage, very lucky.

We have a table saw at school, but we aren't allowed to use it till next year I think, ours are the huge industrial one, it takes up half the room! I actually think leaving some more complex equipment till next year is best as some people really need to grow up in our class...

In the workshop i am in now it is like 2 workshops and a door connect them, it has windows so you can see into each room. The main room has all our work benches, ect, then the other room has the table saw, ect, all the bigger stuff. Anyway our teacher is in and out, when he is gone the guys just do absolute stupid things in the workshop, sometimes I get scared because they muck around with things and next minute a piece of wood comes flying past your head.
default_thumbdown.gif

A few lessons ago a guy got a scrap piece of wood and used the mitre saw, he swung the blade down really fast and spun the piece of wood and it went everywhere. The wood was absolutely mangled. The teacher has no clue at all what they do...

Latest posts

Back