Wood floor is stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes rubber mat is very important as wood floors are very slippery to horses. I only use the heavy stall mats (3/4"-1") thick as the lighter ones slide around and wear out too easily.

I would seal the floor with polyurethane ,several coats, and let it dry good.This will prevent any urine leakage from rotting the wood.Then cover with rubber mats and use a product called Barn Dri(used by dairy farmers).It cuts way down on urine smell.Then I use wood pellets in the pee spots and shavings.Nice sweet smelling barn,less bedding used and definitely less work and manure removal.Have fun in your new barn.Let us see some photos of your barn and the new occupants.

Thanks for all tips!!!!! I really appreciate it and will try and get some pictures up.

Wood absorbs and so it would make a poor choice for a floor in my opinion. It's very hard to disinfect, it will stink with a stench that will be impossible to get out, it's slick, and it can rot quickly. It's one thing as a trailer floor where it is not intended for continual use. I agree with Goldilocks.

Latest posts

Back