Wood Fencing?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
Anyone have wood fencing for their pens, or pastures??? How is it working? What would you do different??? Anyone have any problems if they had it before??

I am wanting to make some changes here and so is mom so I am debating between two seperate things. Thanks

I have wood fencing in most parts - email me if you have any questions. Most of it is landscape timbers hortizontal with treated posts verticle. I have this fencing on the outside fences.

My inner fencing and cross fences are cattle panels (16ft ones) and I really love them.

We have split rail fenceing. Works fine, however we do have electrice on the inside of it thou as we do have a few chewers.

Here we have Sonny, the Son Man, the Son of Sons, the Son of a gun, modeling his board fence that has contained him for some ten years now in our front field. Why? I know not why, but it has.

However, when I had the minis out front in it, they could not be trusted not to try to climb through the little darlings that they are. If I ever move the horses around I would have to back up the board fencing with field fence. I don't worry about stray dogs getting in with Sonny because he'll just kick them to pieces if they mess with him. But the rest of our place is fenced with field fencing.

These are ruff sawn oak planks from a mill that we had run off and plained. I never treated them because as you know, oak might as well be made of steel. No termites, no chewing, etc.

The down side of these boards is that you have to pre-drill your holes because you will bend every nail in the world trying to hammer into oak. A very few of the boards have warped, but were replaced easily.

boardfence.jpg

As we originally made the fencing for the dry lot for two full-sized horses, it was treated posts and treated decking lumber. There is 8 feet between the posts. Then the fencing was stained white opaque with a water-seal stain to help preserve it. We have electric wire at the top of the top rail, which was to stop cribbing. We have an electric tape between the bottom rail and the middle rail. That was mainly to keep the minis from sticking their heds over and chewing the grass all the while, and to keep dogs or kids from climbing in. Has worked for both. It is probably overkill for minis, but it will withstand any kicking and maybe would slow down a predator from coming in over the fence from the outside. Since we aren't home during the days and are not right next to the barn at night, I wanted something sturdy for them to stay in. Have had no issues.

Had I started with minis, may have been different, but even with minis only, we are keeping big horse dimensions so any possible change in plans or owners will keep it flexible.

Ours are 4X4 posts with three 2X4 rails, eight feet apart, with extra 4X4 braces on all corners.

Works well for us, and I like the thoughts of not having to worry about wire being bent down and falling over in the winter. Besides; my stallion (the poop) doesn't respect electric wire, and I find this the safest for us.

IMG00004.jpg

Latest posts

Back