Won't eat his Moorman minerals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
Okay, this morning, I started my guy on some of the Moorman's loose minerals.

He ate most of it this morning, but according to BO, he left some in his bucket when she went to give him his pm (dinner) minerals and he wouldn't even look at the minerals just added.

So, now what? Will he get accustomed to the taste or is this just what happens with minerals - he eats what he needs? So maybe this is normal?

She went ahead and gave him some of his ration balancer in place of his minerals for his pm feeding.

I'll ask the vet tomorrow, but in the meantime, is this normal?

Yes its normal. First Suz, are you sure you got the horse minerals and not the ones for cattle/swine etc> ?

I have a large feeder thingy in the barn yard for my loose minerals. Sometimes I don't get any hits on it at all from any of the horses for weeks. Other times, they come around and get some as they feel they need it. During the summer I was worried no one was really utilizing the minerals out there at all and I kept having to throw them out so I began to top dress the feed with just a pinch. That went over like a lead balloon so I quit that. But when winter set it they were on them a lot. I think that all these loose minerals taste different to horses and they prefer some kinds over other brands and I have had all kinds. But the bottom line is they will get them as the want them and as their system tells them so I don't fret over it. Just leave a container out for him and he'll get at it eventually.

Yes its normal. First Suz, are you sure you got the horse minerals and not the ones for cattle/swine etc> ?

Yep, just looked at the pkg - it's the one for horses.

The moorman's minerals are just that minerals and vitamins. Equate that to you taking a multi-vitamin mineral pill with no coating on it. - YUCK!

When I top dress, I top dress their vitamins/minerals, flax seed, probiotic with 1 Tbl soy oil from ADM/Moorman. I also feed a bit of beet pulp and mix all that with the grain so it sticks to the feed.

They may turn their noses up once or twice, but then they eat it.

My guys eat minerals free choice. Some times they eat a lot, other times none.

I use to feed the Moormans, but found mine like Purina 12/12 better.

I put 1 teaspoon twice a day of the Purina 12/12 in with soaked alfalfa pellets, and ground flaxseed they haven't refused it yet.

Latest posts

Back