Wondering if anyone can give me some hints to as when I might expect my mini to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The absolute best is within 3 hours. I start getting antsy at 6 hours. We tend to milk the mare at 3 hours and give the foal a "jump start". They gain some strength and get more aggressive with latching on. (I'm usually down on my hands and knees watching to make sure she's really ON a teat.)

Oh! And Congrats!!! I came on here looking to see if your mare had foaled because your description yesterday sounded like she was following "the book".
Thank you! She really did foal by book! I was so happy she did too! It took some time but baby is latching on very well now.

Is she finding the bag? If not you could put a bit of milk on your mares teats so she has an easier time. If you haven't seen her have a good drink yet I'd get some into her.
So she kept finding the bag after quite some time but was only sucking on the side of the bag. I did rub milk all over bag and teats and she thankfully finally started latching on. Thank you so much for helping me with info as I am a first timer!

Latest posts

Back