Wondering if anyone can give me some hints to as when I might expect my mini to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you're doing great. Keep reading/watching as much as you can especially on the signs and what to do if the foal is in the wrong position and red bags. You might want to start setting an alarm and getting up every 2 hours to check on her then 1/2 hour or so as she looks closer, which looking at her will be soon. Especially if she's never had a foal before you want to make sure you are there in case she is scared of the foal and/or can't figure out what to do. Don't get me wrong, even if it's foal #10 you want to be there to make sure everything goes well. Don't worry about asking anything, nothing is too minor or stupid. Can't wait to see the little one!!
Oh, if she's going by the book I think you're waiting till her nipples point down instead of in. Is her udder going down at all when she's out for the day? That would be another indicator she's really close when there is no change in her udder after she's been out moving around.
Thank you so much! I'm glad I joined this group it has been been very informative & encouraging. Her udder hasn't gone down in 2 days now. It makes me so nervous something could go wrong. Ugh! Yikes! But I am fully capable of helping her. I noticed last night she stood still for at least 6-7 hours straight. Sleeping? I've just never seen her be that still for so long before. She seemed totally normal this morning when I fed her.

Thank you so much! I'm glad I joined this group it has been been very informative & encouraging. Her udder hasn't gone down in 2 days now. It makes me so nervous something could go wrong. Ugh! Yikes! But I am fully capable of helping her. I noticed last night she stood still for at least 6-7 hours straight. Sleeping? I've just never seen her be that still for so long before. She seemed totally normal this morning when I fed her.
So went home from work & checked her a little bit ago. It appears that her vulva is swollen looking & look a little darker pink inside. Her bag is really full & tight looking as well. Should I really be watching her closely now?

So went home from work & checked her a little bit ago. It appears that her vulva is swollen looking & look a little darker pink inside. Her bag is really full & tight looking as well. Should I really be watching her closely now?

I definitely would be if her udder is bigger and backside is swollen.

I agree with elizabeth.conder!

Be careful how long you let it go before you milk you're mare and syringe the baby, they need to eat about every 1/2 hour.
So adorable!!!!!
So how long would you say it too long. Baby rested and is now trying to nurse again. I have been watching from a camera, but it's hard to tell from camera. Vet just said I need to let them work it out. 🤷‍♀️

The absolute best is within 3 hours. I start getting antsy at 6 hours. We tend to milk the mare at 3 hours and give the foal a "jump start". They gain some strength and get more aggressive with latching on. (I'm usually down on my hands and knees watching to make sure she's really ON a teat.)

Oh! And Congrats!!! I came on here looking to see if your mare had foaled because your description yesterday sounded like she was following "the book".

Latest posts

Back