Wondering difference between Mini and Shetland horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WantAMini

Reaction score
Hi all, I was doing some research on the internet and came across this site and I'm wanting a Mini horse at some time, maybe during this year.

What are the main differences between Miniature Horses and Shetland Ponies? And why would you choose one over the other? I'm trying to decide which would fit better. I do have young cousins that come out to my home where I have a couple of acres.

Welcome to the forum WantAMini.

Really depends on what you want one for ? A shetland is much stockier. Mine is broken in and is used for pony rides. Both can be used to drive , showing, therapy , companions, hiking etc.

Horses are herd animals, so will need a pasture mate. Maybe theres a local rescue near you , they usually have plenty looking for a second chance :)

Shetland is a breed based on bloodlines. Miniature horse is mostly a height designation, in the US it's under 38" at the last hair of the mane.

There are shetlands and then there are American shetlands. The American shetlands are most certainly not more stocky--they are generally more refined and leggy, more big horse proportioned than the majority of Miniatures. Here is one of my Classic American Shetlands--my mini Saddlebred!

Tim2011websm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So there are 2 types of Shetland Ponies. I never knew that before. Thanks for that information.

Shetland is a breed based on bloodlines. Miniature horse is mostly a height designation, in the US it's under 38" at the last hair of the mane.

Okay, so the minis are by the last hair on the mane. I never would have thought that. Mind boggling for some reason.

Okay, so the minis are by the last hair on the mane. I never would have thought that. Mind boggling for some reason.
It makes them seem smaller, as there is usually a difference between last hair measurement and top of the withers measurement; I want to say about an inch, but can be more depending on how prominent the withers are.

Okay, I can understand that. And I've heard the term withers before, but I don't know the actual location of a wither. Is it the shoulder blade type of place?

Wow, the information. I've been off doing fun things like taking out the trash.

Now to all this information. I'm just astounded that there are two types of Shetland Ponies. And then the 38 inches at the last hair of a mane! Who decided that?

@Minimor, your horse is so beautiful and all the proportions look so good to my eyes. Is he'she allowed to have a peppermint candy treat once in awhile?

@Minimor, your mini is so good looking I had to go in and make your image full size so he would better be seen by all.

He is just beautiful, or handsome since he's a he.

Anything under 38" at last mane hairs, is considered a miniature. Miniatures are a height breed. It can be a Shetland, or any other breed or mix of breeds. MANY miniatures have Shetland in them and many are registered as both Shetland and Miniature. (AMHA~ 34" or under at the last mane hairs) (AMHR~ 38" or under at the last mane hairs)

So I looked at the wiki link and saw the horse. Seems as if the withers is like that bump on the back of our necks at the top of the spine.

I have never yet known of a mini that was not Shetland in its background. Thirty years ago when I got my first minis, I began to research and find out how when the market fell out of the Shetlands, they first called the real small ones...midget Shetlands, and then started calling the small ones "miniature horses" as a marketing ploy. Of course some miniature horses over the years have had other kinds of smallish pony breeds mixed in, from choosing to add other blood in some breeding programs, but I always let new people to my farm or to the mini world know right off that they are in fact small Shetlands, as that is the predominant blood in them. Over my thirty years people have tried also to refine their body type in their breeding and always are aiming to make them look more "horse like". But I am proud of their Shetland heritage in my herd. Where I live on the high plains of Southwest Wyoming we have harsh very very cold winters and their hardy traits that go back to the harsh Shetland Isles make them well suited to my place. I would love to see any miniature horse that has a pedigree that has no Shetland blood in it though, if anyone has one. :)

@horsehug Sounds as if your Shetlands are practical for where you live. Shetlands are a bit short and squat compared to conventional sized horses?
And your explanation of Mini's being a marketing of some Shetlands, way-back-when, makes sense also.

How far back are Miniture horses mentioned as breed/type of their own?

Miniatures were officially named in 1972, when the ASPC created the American Miniature Horse Registry. Here is a brochure I received from ASPC in 1973. Note the reference to AMHR in the bottom corner.

Attachments

• 20190206_181338.jpg
    20190206_181338.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for posting the date and info, Minimor.

Latest posts

Back