Wonderful memories...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
Sitting at my desk, 'catalog shopping' to put together an order for 'horsey' supplies, I had to take a moment to enjoy a rendition of "Some Enchanted Evening"by two major members of the current cast of the revival in New York of the stage musical,"South Pacific". It moved me to tears(believe me, the older you get, the more often your BEST memories will do this to you!)--because...when I was 17, I had the opportunity to go to college a year 'early', and my mother and an aunt 'hatched' a plan for me to enter that freshman year in HAWA'II at the U. of H.(aunt's husband was career military, about to be transferred there). So---I, who'd only been on a plane once before in my life, was put on a plane in El Paso, flew to LA(where my mother's 'same-age-as-her' niece, whose husband was a TV producer( "Dr. Kildare, Man from U.N.C.L.E.", Studio One, back in NY, for instance--for those who are old enough!)came and sat with me during a 4-5 hour layover there), then onto a (bigger) prop plane for a 8-10? hour flight to Honolulu(this was BEFORE jet passenger planes--in Sept., 1958)--the ORIGINAL movie, with Ezio Pinza and Mary Martin had just been released, the music was being played EVERYWHERE, and it was all the 'talk of the town'!

I met three very nice young men on that LOONNGG plane ride(two of them Marines)---in fact, went to SEE the new movie with one of them after I got settled in Honolulu(living with my aunt and uncle and their two boys) in an 'apartment hotel' right on Diamond Head end of Waikiki, next to where the Kodak Hula show was held, and directly across the street from Kapiolani Park,where I found I could OCCASIONALLY get my 'horse fix', exercising polo ponies-which sure did help with the homesickness!

For some reason, I have a strong memory for song lyrics, and still can 'sing along', pretty much all the way through, with nearly EVERY song from South Pacific--it was very 'intertwined' in my memory with some wonderful, WONDERFUL times in my then-young life!!

If you are of the younger generations who are not familiar with the story AND the GREAT Rogers and Hammerstein music from "South Pacific", give yourself a treat and listen--or if you are close enough, go to the musical in New York (Lincoln Center, I think they said?).--or even, find and rent the original movie!

Hope I haven't bored everyone to tears--but it has been a joy to remember!

Margo

default_yes.gif
Aren't memories wonderful? I remember it well. And I think the older we get the more a memory is worth. Thanks for sharing.
default_wub.png

You didnt bore me but then I am just a few years behind you and you are right the music of the era can bring you right back to where you were and what you were doing. My era was mid to late 60's but the music does the same for me. Brings back some wonderful memories of great times. Thank you for sharing.

If you are of the younger generations who are not familiar with the story AND the GREAT Rogers and Hammerstein music from "South Pacific", give yourself a treat and listen--or if you are close enough, go to the musical in New York (Lincoln Center, I think they said?).--or even, find and rent the original movie!

Hope I haven't bored everyone to tears--but it has been a joy to remember!

Margo
What a GREAT soundtrack. And my favorite is "Some Enchanted Evening". I think music like that is timeless.......nothing to do with age. I think your taste in music broadens with age. However, even when I was a kid I loved South Pacific.

Latest posts

Back