Wonder Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Just got to thinking and looking at my mare (somewhere between 112-233 days) and I was thinking "you know, I wonder how long it takes for her to look like she needs a wide load sign". . .thus began my search and found this "Wonder Mare" who managed to fool everyone up until the last month or two of her pregnancy.

Could a pregnant miniature mare hide her foal as well as this mare did? If only we humans could still look good while pregnant LOL. 

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse...ing-223108.html

I've had one who did almost as that mare did......Actually I had just thought "hmmm...lot of hay this week", when I even noticed she was fuller in the tummy
default_laugh.png
A few days later I dropped the feed scoop as I was walking from the feed trough and she happened to be swishing her tail. WOW, she's fully bagged!! I separated her and 2 days later she foaled. Cute little filly.
default_wub.png

Since most of mine are the small ones, it's pretty hard to hide a belly. This mare is a tall one, 36" .

I always used to joke that the little ones would need to strap skateboards on to keep from dragging a belly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always used to joke that the little ones would need to strap skateboards on to keep from dragging a belly.
I am in tears from laughing so much 
default_laugh.png
. I wish that I knew her exact dates - we will start watching her March 18th (earliest possible 290 day mark) but if she goes by the 340 day mark - she is due between May 7th and September 5th 
default_wacko.png
. PERSONALLY, I will never pasture breed again - thats a big spread to be watching just one mare lol. She is a heavy boned mare and she's always had a "hay belly". . . .she is 31.25" and she is bred to a very refined 32.5".

I am betting she will foal in August/September 
default_rolleyes.gif

Oh! Oh! I have one like that!! Had NO idea she was bred. Here's the pic:

butter328days2.jpg

default_new_rofl.gif

I have a mare that really does not look pregnant. She is due any day now and I would say she is not pregnant if I had not seen the ultra sound myself. But then when we got her, absolutely the only way you could tell she was pregnant was the foal kicked. She foaled 30 days after we got her. I will go take some pictures.

OK I promissed pictures;

Here she foaled 30 days after the picture

May1623.jpg

This one is after she weaned her colt

Dec06_13.jpg

and here she is again due any day. You can see where the vet clipped her for the ultra sound.

001-1.jpg

I will never figure this mare out.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine had this happen to them with a big paint mare. She was a big-boned horse and always on the heavy side. They had her bred, but every sonogram the vet kept saying it didn't take. Fast forward through the year, she never got that "pregnant" look, so they figured the vet was right the breeding didn't take. They had planned to retry in May as this breeder liked April babies. So in April we planned a trail ride before he sent the mare off to be re-bred. The next day this mare was acting kinda strange. They just figured she was a little sore from the ride, since she wasn't in good shape. The following morning they got up to a beautiful dun filly standing by momma. Yep definitely a surprise. They named her Hide and Seek Champion (AKA Heidi), because momma "hid" her so well. LOL

I have a 19 year old mare that has given us 6 foals-every single one of which was born out in the pasture because we had NO idea the mare was pregnant. She's a leggy 34.5" mare and refined so you'd think she'd get huge. Especially since most of her foals are born about 22"-23"! She's just the type that's always fit as a fiddle. She also never gets a full bag until she decides to deliver I swear. She never had any problems foaling, thank goodness, and seemed to like being out in the pasture best so I never worried too much.

She was pasture bred to my few spot for this May-July....excited to see if I get a foal!

Dez mares - they can be sneaky alright! I had a 37.5" mare who hadn't gotten in foal for three years. Sent her off to friend to go to stud, never cycled. Bought her home, thinking "oh well, maybe she's never going to have another foal".

Walked out one morning to find a tiny (for her) filly foal! Worked out she must have backed up to the fence for the boy.

She never bagged, had a tummy NOTHING!!!!

Named foal Ad Alta Lil Miss OUTFOXU!!! Pleased to say daughter has absolutely no problem letting you know she's in foal

Latest posts

Back