WNV vaccine for pregnant mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West Nile Virus vaccinations vs pregnancy

• (1) I vaccinate all my horses pregnant or not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (2) I do not vaccinate for West Nile

• (3) I vaccinate all but pregnant mares

• (4) I only vaccinate mares if over 30 days pregnant

• Total voters

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
with all the weather changes and so many cases reperted already in this area I have changed my opinion and have opted to vaccinate my pregnant mares this year....I always did my other horses but not my mares. In doing this I was curious as to what others do. October is a prime month for West Nile cases...something else I learned that I was not aware of....horses once vaccinated the series..they only need a yearly booster... guess I have been living under a rock....jeez
wub.gif

We vaccinate our horses for west nile, including pregnant mares. we have had no problems with vaccinations at all.

Sept and Oct are also the prime months for ehrilichia in Wisconsin so we keep an eye out for that too. unfortunately, we know the symptoms too well as 2 years ago we almost lost a weanling to this. Wish there was a vaccination for this....

jennifer
saludando.gif

I vaccinate all my horses for West Nile but the broodmares don't get it in the first trimester anymore, and never in conjunction with any other innoculations. Everythings fine since I started this. I don't over vaccinate my horses, but do feel this one is important.

justjinx...what is ehrilichia ???

Debby..if I may ask what led you to this decision on vaccinating?

Actually my most trusted vet has very expensive I believe Freezian horses or a breed close to that in value so every spring I ask did you vaccinate for West Nile if he did I do if not I dont. He knows alot more about the occurance in our area.

This is a killed virus. I have had no problems with all stages of pregnancy.

I did lose 2 horses to the virus before we vaccinated. Won't want to do that again!

yellowrose---ehrilichia is an illness caused by ticks (similar to rocky mountain spotted fever in humans) and can be very severe. we had a weanling get it and she had to have very expensive serum transfusions and we still almost lost her. luckily our vets are good and were able to save her!

in wisconsin ehrilichia is most common in the fall even though ticks here are most commonly seen in may and june.

jennifer
saludando.gif

I also give it to all of mine...pregnant or not and have never in 4 years had a problem at all. Like sfmini said., its a killed virus, won't hurt a thing.

And Jennifer my husband had ehrilichia about 3 or 4 years ago...was he ever SO SICK !! I thought I was going to loose him then but he made it through it.

Clara

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my horses are vaccinated for West Nile with the Merial Vaccine.

I vaccinate my pregnant mares with it 30 days or so prior to foaling.

CharmedMinis said:
All of my horses are vaccinated for West Nile with the Merial Vaccine. 
I vaccinate my pregnant mares with it 30 days or so prior to foaling.

470864[/snapback]

Our vet would not vaccinate Freedom's dam with the WNV vaccine while she was pregnant - she did not feel it was safe. This was in 2002 and the mare was sold to a new owner in SC... the new owner's veterinarian did vaccinate the mare after she arrived and she foaled a healthy colt in the spring without problems.

Just my 2 cents worth....
biggrin.gif

Denise

Silversong Farm

I have always vaccinated ALL my horses for WN...even bred mares....with no problems whatsoever.

I do not vaccinate my in foal mares for WN. I am one of the ones who did have a reaction and 3 separate vets all feel it was much to high of a coincidence to not be related to the vaccine. I agreed with them and now we opt(at my current vets advice) to vaccinate the mares right after they give birth in the spring. Personally if i HAD to do it while in foal i would do it early on.. much prefer to have a mare slip or abort early then deal with a late term abortion which can be deadly to a mare.

Like anything else it all goes great until it doesn't. And there can be 100 people that never have any reaction but that sure doesn't negate the 2 or 3 that do. I think all in all it is best to discuss with your vet your concerns on either side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back