With fly season approaching.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking small

Reaction score
I ask a question on keeping their little eyes protected With the QH she had a fly mask, now i know they exist in mini size but being this pair will only be yearlings in June i worry they'll wreak them?

So what to do? i have no idea how bad the flies will be nor their reaction to them. Any tips? what do you do? Thanks.

Honestly I wish I had flys...

I have skeeters and LOTS, LOTS,LOTS of them!!!

Your yearligs should be just fine. Put it on and walk them on a lead that way you have control of them untill they are confertable with it. Should'nt take long at all and all will be good!
default_biggrin.png

I can only use fly masks when I'm walking my horses, as my gelding pulls everything off himself and my mare when they are turned out. So I use an insect repellent made for horse faces; there's one called Swat, and the one I use is called Roll-On, from Farnam. It seems to help a lot, and I only have to apply it every few days when the bugs are bad. We don't get a lot of flies, but we get TONS of mosquitoes and black flies and midges. I roll the stuff around their eyes, down their noses, and in their ears, then rub it in (carefully - don't get it in their eyes or mouth); it's kinda greasy but it works.

Deolotion, my favorite fly spray, comes in a cream. A streak of that right down the center of faces works great. However, if your horse has white markings with pink skin unerlaying, then skip that because they will sunburn but on solid faces, it works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason we get flies in the house real bad. But, the horses stand out there with out so much as a fly. A couple of years I used fly ribons in the stalls. I got a fly trap. It got about 20 flies in it. My horses don't even swish thier tails. I did buy a couple of fly masks but haven't ever used them. There's no need.

We get face flies and I do use masks. However on a foal or one younger than a yearling, I will not put one on because they can be hard to get off if they some how get attached to "something" out there. Some of that velcro is really tough.

We use Fly Predators by Spalding Labs. We spread them in the backs of stalls and in the pastures.

I have a fly spray system in the barn that I have not filled yet for the season, and use fly predators elsewhere. Last summer the face flies were bad - the Farnam roll on works for me about as well as anything. Flies are late arriving this year...wishing they would take a vacation!

Jan

My mare had destroyed a couple flymasks... and we do have gnats in the arena so headshaking is really bad when they should be paying attention to training...

Last summer I bought Farnam's Repel-X lotion. It works great! I like that it's not as thick as SWAT.

Andrea

I personally think prevention is the best solution.

We use the Fly Eliminators by Arbico. They are the same as the ones from Spaulding Labs (I have used them in the past) but you don't have to pay extra for shipping and I think I get more in my package.

I personally think prevention is the best solution.We use the Fly Eliminators by Arbico. They are the same as the ones from Spaulding Labs (I have used them in the past) but you don't have to pay extra for shipping and I think I get more in my package.
I have used Arbico for a number of years now. I love my little predators. I put them in critical places in the barn. To keep the birds from getting them, I put them in little plastic boxes with 1/4 inch screen on the top so the predators can get out to do their job.

What wonderful, safe little creatures they are. All natural.

I have a fly free barn.
default_aktion033.gif

Deolotion, my favorite fly spray, comes in a cream. A streak of that right down the center of faces works great. However, if your horse has white markings with pink skin unerlaying, then skip that because they will sunburn but on solid faces, it works great.
Slightly off-topic, but this is a worry too. What do you use to prevent sunburns on horses with a lot of white on their faces?

Where can you purchase Arbico? I am willing to try it. Hate flies. And mosqitoes. We use the long fly strip tubes we get at the feed store. Last year's are so covered up with flies, mosquitoes, wasps, yellowjackets, and dirtdabbers there is almost no room on board for anymore.
default_new_rofl.gif
We bought new ones today because with spring weather the pesties are here! Couple of things we do: Purchase concentrated liquid garlic and spray it around the barn, stalls, and our house. Downside is the smell is so Italiano I justa wanta to cooka lotsa ofa the spaghetti! But it keeps the mosquitoes at bay. Another is sprinkle diatmaceous (sp?) earth on the poop piles in the lot until I can get them scooped and also those out in the pasture I don't intend to scoop. Kills all insects and parasites. Don't use it though without following the instuctions to a t!

Where can you purchase Arbico? I am willing to try it. Hate flies. And mosqitoes. We use the long fly strip tubes we get at the feed store. Last year's are so covered up with flies, mosquitoes, wasps, yellowjackets, and dirtdabbers there is almost no room on board for anymore.
default_new_rofl.gif
We bought new ones today because with spring weather the pesties are here! Couple of things we do: Purchase concentrated liquid garlic and spray it around the barn, stalls, and our house. Downside is the smell is so Italiano I justa wanta to cooka lotsa ofa the spaghetti! But it keeps the mosquitoes at bay. Another is sprinkle diatmaceous (sp?) earth on the poop piles in the lot until I can get them scooped and also those out in the pasture I don't intend to scoop. Kills all insects and parasites. Don't use it though without following the instuctions to a t!
I've used fly Preditors for the last 4 years and they are great. I get them from Arbico. Here is there web site.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/

default_new_rofl.gif
I've used fly Preditors for the last 4 years and they are great. I get them from Arbico. Here is there web site.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/
Thanks a bunch!

Coppertone in the highest SPF that you can find.
Is there any problems with it running or getting into their eyes or anything? I remember it could run and such if I could wet, or sweaty when I was younger.

Coppertone in the highest SPF that you can find.
Is there any problems with it running or getting into their eyes or anything? I remember it could run and such if I could wet, or sweaty when I was younger.
We use Water Babies, the highest SPF we can find. It is made for children and seems to work quite well on our light skinned horses.

Latest posts

Back