Wish Me Luck -- First Oncologist Appt This Morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Hi, Guys --

Just requesting some good wishes for this morning. I see an oncologist for the first time to see what we need to do next. Before I had surgery, my pulmonologist thought that I would most likely not need chemo or radiation, however at that time, she thought I had a lung carcinoid and it turned out to be a rare type of salivary gland tumor. So, I'm not sure if that changes the followup prediction or not. The oncologist, of course, is the expert in this area.

The tumor was in my lung (it is just a real lucky thing it was even caught as I never coughed). They had to remove the upper lobe of that lung on August 21, and I've been recovering really well and I think quickly. The tumor was, in hindsight, making a mess of things based on how much better I feel now and how much less insulin I use now. Plus, it was blocking my airway to my left lung and had collapsed the lobe as well (I never knew, but know I was so tired for so long).

It was graded stage 2, which for this kind of tumor means it was more than 2cm but less than 4cm, had clean margins and no spreading to lymph nodes or any place else. The surgeon has told me he thinks I am "well clear of it now."

I'm hoping for a definitive "no way, you don't need chemo or radiation" vs. any uncertainty. I want to be very proactive so if there's any slip of a chance, I'll want to have it done (and am chicken about how bad it might be...).

On the bright side, I can always laugh at myself. I've hated my hair for years and therefore for years, I've accumulated a very impressive wardrobe of wigs. So, I may be all set and ready to loose my hair if that should happen. I still got lots of barbie hair to choose from if need be! Maybe I wasn't supposed to tell that secret but a few of you already know (I'm terrible at keeping my own secrets, but good at keeping others'). And, whatever... you all already know enough odd things about me, so there's another! It's a huge time saver and positive thing for me (love trying new colors and styles), but, possibly ironically, I have felt guilty before in the salons that sell these things when I see other ladies coming in for consultations with scarves on their heads and they really need the wigs, while I just like them for how pretty they are and the time it saves me getting ready to go out... I look at it as some ladies get boob enhancements, I get hair enhancements.

Anyway, I'd appreciate more good thoughts. You all have really been there for me through this ordeal and it means a lot to me, Harvey and my family!

Thank you,

Jill

10/01/09 2:45pm Update:

It's good news! No need for chemo or radiation. I will go every 6mos for a CT scan. The oncologist actually thought this was more of a stage 1 than a stage 2, but either way, it's low grade and he said really everything is in my favor for being okay.

However, after we waited awhile before we saw the doctor, a nurse came out and called "Oracki" and I stood up and said "O'Roark?" and she said yes. My name's nearly never pronounced right.

"They told you you'd be with us awhile today, right?" she said as she lead us down the hall.

I said "No... they didn't."

She said "Well, you'll be here about 5-6 hours."

I go "What? I've never even been here before."

She said "but you've been to the chemo class right?"

"NO!"

and then she looks better at the file. She had the wrong patient -- thank God!

I was almost in tears because as she asks me if I've been to the chemo class, we've arrived in a big room with all these recliner chairs where people get treatment. It was a HUGE room (this is a big cancer center).

PHEW............
default_smile.png

I should be okay!

Thanks everyone for the prayers and goodt thoughts
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good wishes coming your way. I'm sure all will go well. You've got such a great attitude and that's a big part of how/why your healing so well and so fast. Let us know how it goes
default_smile.png

jill, you will be in my thoughts and prayers today for GOOD news! i agree, your attitude is wonderful, keep it up and you'll have the world by the tail!
default_wink.png

Prayers coming your way today Jill!

I love what you wrote about "Barbie hair" and "enhancements"...you cracked me up. I think your positive attitude is already making a big difference in how quickly you've recovered from such a major surgery, and will keep you going no matter what the onc recommends. Be thinking of you today.

Prayers sent and good positive thoughts also!

Let us know,
default_wub.png

Bonnie

You will be in my thoughts an prayers, Jill. You have such a positive attitude and that's a good thing. Hoping for good news for you and for it all to be over so that you can continue your normal lifestyle.

Jill, with the great attitude you have and the will to get better, things will shine very bright for you. As for the hair, well sometimes I wish I could just pull on a wig and go, never

know who I would be like from one day to the next. Keep the faith!

Karen

Best Wishes, Jill! We'll all be thinking of you at Pondlake Miniatures.....jennifer
default_saludando.gif

10/01/09 2:45pm Update:

It's good news! No need for chemo or radiation. I will go every 6mos for a CT scan. The oncologist actually thought this was more of a stage 1 than a stage 2, but either way, it's low grade and he said really everything is in my favor for being okay.

However, after we waited awhile before we saw the doctor, a nurse came out and called "Oracki" and I stood up and said "O'Roark?" and she said yes. My name's nearly never pronounced right.

"They told you you'd be with us awhile today, right?" she said as she lead us down the hall.

I said "No... they didn't."

She said "Well, you'll be here about 5-6 hours."

I go "What? I've never even been here before."

She said "but you've been to the chemo class right?"

"NO!"

and then she looks better at the file. She had the wrong patient -- thank God!

I was almost in tears because as she asks me if I've been to the chemo class, we've arrived in a big room with all these recliner chairs where people get treatment. It was a HUGE room (this is a big cancer center).

PHEW............
default_smile.png

I should be okay!

Thanks everyone for the prayers and goodt thoughts
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the recent update and that is FANTASTIC NEWS! I know it must be such a relief - bet you're all over the moon with the results of that visit (even though the girl had you confused - wow, how scary was that!?)

So happy for you - continue the great progress and take care!

I am so HAPPY for you! Take a deep breath and enjoy life!

Carol

Latest posts

Back