wisdom teeth pulled today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Got my upper/lower wisdoms pulled today on the right side of my mouth. Was wondering what kind of soft foods besides mashed potatos, eggs, and soup to eat?

Thanks!

Can't advise too much on foods except smoothies, but I will say take their reccomendation not to smoke (if you are a smoker) seriously... my husband thought that just one wouldn't hurt if he was "careful" and ended up with dry socket which he found very painful and lengthened his recovery a lot! Also, avoid foods with little seeds like strawberries, kiwi etc as these little seeds are a big culprit behind infection as they are difficult to rinse out of the mouth- this includes in your fruit smoothies! Instead of berries try peaches, melon, mango and yogurt with some pulp free orange juice! Do NOT use a straw, like smoking they will cause dry sockets! Add some protein powder to your smoothies if you have trouble keeping weight on or if your recovery period is expected to be long. You can also sneak veggies in there, steamed carrots are sweet and you don't notice them much in a smoothie. Steamed spinich in small amounts is nice with fruit too. But then, steamed or boiled veggies are probably soft enough to eat on their iwn since you only had one side done.

All I can say is Poor Baby! Get well soon! Wisdom teeth removed is the absolutely most painful thing that has ever happened to me, including childbirth and slamming my hand in a car trunk.

Thanks!

Good thing I dont smoke so no sneeky sneeky cigs there. I had some ramun noodles which was nice since I didnt even have to chew, just swollow. I have yogert but it has chunks of strawberries so a no go on eating that. Good point with seeds. I would have never thought of them.

Now that the pain reliever/numbing has worn off, ohhhh do I hurt and this is not fun. It was a really bad removel to begin with which my teeth didnt want to come out and a root broke off and was left to see if it will work its way out on its own. Now the pain is sooo bad and has gave me a migrain. The pain relivers dont help either... 500mm of Vicodons are like tic tacs. I feel like a sissy but it dose hurt. My root canals didnt hurt like this.

Thanks for some ideals, keep them coming!

oh ps, man oh man am I craving taco bell.... LOL! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Stupid comercials!

I hope you are feeling better soon! I was supposed to have mine out *coughtwentycough* years ago, but before the appointment, they stopped hurting. But, I've been worrying that it will flare up later and I'll wish I did it way back when.

Mary Lou, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this topic title...

I had mine taken out over 40 years ago, after the birth of three kids. Two of them were impacted and had to be cut out, one was abcessed. it was not fun. I couldn't even swallow for a few hours. I remember eating really soft stuff, like potaotes, and scrabled eggs, chicken noodle soup. Believe me it's better to have them out, and you will feel better soon. AT least now a days they give you good drugs.

I had mine out about 9 years ago (the month before our wedding). They put me completely out. When I got home, I fell asleep on the couch wiht an ice pack on each side of my face (both lower wisdom teeth), and that must have done wonders, as I had minimal pain (I was uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say I was painful), but did take an extra day and a half off work (had to use my sick leave some how). I ate ramen noodles, soup, probably yogurt, cup a noodles and I really don't remember what else.

Smoothies... frozen ones. best with stonyfields vanilla 0 fat yogurt... then add frozen strawberries, frozen peaches, and toss in a banana and blend to a slushy yummy creation.

I found that advil works best for dental pain. It is specific for soft tissue swelling. You can take three at a time. (600 mg). Vicodin just doesn't cut it for dental pain IMO.

Hope you feel better soon, you are supposed to go with heat for some time and then cold or in reverse.. can't remember, follow the directions they told you. Ice cream is terrific too.. we call ice cream a boo boo treat. Hope you feel better soon.

When I got mine out they gave me percoset for pain, the pain killer made me throw up, no help there.

take care and hope you get relief soon.

I got my wisdom teeth out back in the winter, after putting it off for oh..3 years! It was aweful, mostly my own fault. I let them decay/chip off until they were so painful. I delt with that for 3 years, taking pain pills daily to put off the pain until I couldn't deal with it anymore. Plus I had two teeth pulled during the summer last year and it wasn't all that bad, actually a good experience.

My issue was, my top two wisdom teeth had decayed/chiped off so badly that there was only about 1/4th of each tooth to pull. Made it hard on the dentist to grab ahold of them. I started to panic in the midst of each tooth being removed. Now I will say, when I had my two teeth removed in the summer (non wisdom) i did the laughing gas, so maybe that helped to relax me. I didn't do laughing gas with the wisdoms as the first time around was REALLY a good experience.

I had no pain at all after the teeth were removed, none, when I had any of my four removed. I still have my two bottom wisdom teeth, I am sure within the next year I will get them out. I ate yogurt, soft brownie's, soup, pudding. Other things too, just cannot remember.

Best of luck
default_smile.png

I found that advil works best for dental pain. It is specific for soft tissue swelling. You can take three at a time. (600 mg). Vicodin just doesn't cut it for dental pain IMO.
Our local dentist recommends taking 2 ibuprofen (400mg total) and 1 tylenol (500 mg) together for dental pain, the combination seems to be good for dental issues. [it seemed to help my husband while he was dealing with issues that led to a root canal and more.]

MindyLee, are you keeping your face iced? In January I had to have oral surgery and they gave me an ice pack that wrapped around my head. I kept that thing on faithfully and do believe it helped. I was in severe pain for three weeks and had swelling for over a month. On Tuesday, I have another oral surgery and I am scared to death since now I am totally aware of how awful it really is. Mary Lou, best of luck to you....... MindyLee, you may want to call your dentist if the pain is not eased with ice and pain meds.

And I was lucky enough to have root canal work done yesterday... I'm eating soup (Campbell's Natural just came out with some GREAT flavors - just had their Mexican tortilla soup and it was really good!), yogurt, smoothies, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, steamed/pureed carrots. Not very exciting, especially since I LOVE food...but it's working for now. Hope you feel better!

Liz N.

Thanks everyone!

Well I had such bad pain yesterday and thought it was going to be this way for days to come BUT I woke up this morning sick to my stomach and a bad migrane WITH NO TOOTH PAIN OR SWELLING! It dosnt hurt and laid agound all day sick because of the meds on a fairly empty stomach but soooo happy the just my jaw is sore but not where my teeth where pulled. Never even took a pain med all day, just the antiobotics and a headach pill. Now up doing household chores and feeling good beside starving to death!

Hope this happens too for you MaryLou. 1 day of bad pain and good from there! Good Luck!

1 was fully out and the other only 1/2 way out. The one that was fully out didnt hurt but was the harder of the 2 to pull as it broke off at the root. Dentist was surprised cause he thought that would be the easiest as tops are always easier then the bottems. The bottem was giving me pain and swelled so thats y I want to have them removed. It was 1/2 out and was easy to pull out.

I was freaking out really bad before having them pulled But once numbed up and he started working, it was'nt as bad as I was anticiapating. It was after all the numbing wore off. Then it felt like my jaw got smacked with a rock. But like I said, way way way much better the next day.

Latest posts

Back