Wireless internet questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
Okay, I need help here on a subject that confuses the dickens out of me. Hubby has a laptop that has wireless capabilities. We've never used that type of thing before and are absolutely clueless as to how that works or how to go about getting service.

So that would be question #1: anyone who knows anything about such things, please hit me with your cluestick.

Question number 2-Daughter just bought a computer and would prefer to not have to go through the phone company to do dial up. Can any computer be converted to wireless? Is there something you can buy to put in the computer if it didn't come from the factory with wireless set up? Or is that even necessary? (Again, clue stick time) I didn't think so, but am curious for her.

I don't think I'll be of much help to you, since I am new to this wireless thing too, and clueless about it too! BUT, I can tell you what I did learn last week when I bought my new laptop.(notebook?) I think the salesmen were happy to see me go! LOL! I had a ton of questions for them, and I kept asking my questions over and over until I was sure I understood. Had them draw me a picture at one point!
default_yes.gif
:

I live in the country(33 miles out) and we have no wireless service here...only slow dial-up, and have a "regular" computer. Our daughter and son-in-law live in town, and they do have high speed wireless. Since we(hubby and I) are going away to Vegas for 8 days, I thought I better buy a laptop to take with me, so I can keep my auction business fairly caught up. My plan was to use their(daughter and son-in-law) wireless login info, so that I could use my new laptop when I went away, since the hotel does have wireless service.(for a fee) So I wanted to make sure I knew everything about what I would need, and how to get it.

* I learned a "notebook" is basically just a new name for laptop.

* I learned that I do not need to have ANY login from daughter, as when we go through the hotel, it is their "signal" that we will be using and logging on with.

* Laptop comes with battery as well as an adaptor to use on electricity.(I will be using the power cord)

* Laptop comes with wireless card, so no need to get anything else to go online as log as you have service.

* If you have wireless at home, you can get a "router" so that you can have multiple computer connections to that same account. BUT, you have to be within 400 feet of the main computer/router, with the other computer(s). So it would not work to have one subscription, get a router, and have a neighbor a few doors down using your signal.

* I learned that there are "hot spots" in various locations that would allow you to pick up the wireless signal and you won't have to pay! This can be in an airport, or near a library, or other businesses that would have a good signal. BUT, these are hit and miss, and you just never know.

I plan to use mine only for travelling as all of my work is on my home PC.

If your daughter bought a new computer. I believe the only thing she needs to get, is the stuff from the compnay(like a cable box or card?) that they install on your computer to enable you to use their service.

Sore subject around here right now. We have wireless service here, via satellite, from Hughes.net. It is hit or miss at best. Not high speed like you get in town, but MUCH better than dial up when it is working. We have been without for 2 weeks now, back to dial up...arrgh....and this after many hours on the phone with someone in India trying to troubleshoot. If it doesn't work, for what it costs, I want someone at my door doing whatever it takes to make it work. After the second or third mail delivery of some part or connection, we are wireless once again but this only because my husband fiddled with it and ran a temporary line above ground.

I think Mona answered most of your questions, I'm just venting LOL.

Jan

My husband drives a big truck and I bought him a laptop to take with him. He gets his wireless internet through the truck stops. The big ones, like Flying J and TA have their own "hot spots" and you can log in for a fee. Usually it's like $5 for 24 hours or $20-25 a month. You can pay online, using a debit/credit card, and be logged in pretty quickly. You also pick your user name and password to be able to log in. As far as I know, he's never found any free hot spots.

I have read that you can get wireless through cell phone companies like Cingular and Sprint. From what I understand, you should have a signal where ever you have a cell phone signal.

Thanks for all the great information so far. I'm slowly learning.

Love my wireless connections- the only thing I caution you is each wireless card has its own security code- so as you go to set up your system it will ask you if you would like to keep your current security FACTORY settings- say no and set your own- this is because if someone is driving by or your neighbour who is using wireless has left there factory settings on then they can access the internet on your service- so just change your settings to your personal preference( neighbour behind us hasn't and if we are down and the weather is clear we can acess the internet them-probabbly slows them right down)-Someone please correct me ifI am wrong- my hubby is the computer gru and I might have the wrong jargon :bgrin

hi tami

ive been using wireless for about a year and love it. i also used it when i went to tulsa. And yes you can buy a wireless card for any newer computer and add it on. I believe they are about 200.00. It is nice to be able to sit in the living room and check email. If you still need help post here and ill call you when im done with chores

A few basics. There are two basic types of wireless connection.

1. Through a satellite. Your computer must be set up for it and you pay a subcripter fee. Say like to Verizon

2. Through a cable to your home. You need a compter with a wireless card and a router. You can use several computers at the same time. You can use them both wireless and connected to your cable. If not set up properly your neighbors can also hook into your wireless.

If the area you live in does not provide high speed internet connections you would have to try for satellite. It may not may not work at your location. If you have a satellite service you may be able to pick it up in most but not all locations. You never know were it will work until you try it. This is similar to dead zones with your cell phone. Some work better then others. Some never seem to work.

Hot zones. Starbucks has them. Airports too. If you have wireless and travel learn where they are. If you travel carry a cable connecting wire with you. Most hotel shave internet connection, if they do not have wireless you can connect into their cable. Most hotel now offer this free.

If you live in the country or rural area, as I do, you may need satellite service. The one I use is Wild Blue. It's less expensive to install than Direcway and other satellite services and the monthly fees are cheaper, too. Here's a toll-free number: 888-817-2079.

I also have an Internet access card from Sprint that slips in and out of a port on my laptop. Wherever there is Sprint service, which is just about everywhere in the country nowadays, you can get on the Internet. My wife and I were on the Internet for about six hours without interruption on our drive out of Tulsa this past weekend.

Okay, Yaddax, I think this was touched on by Steph, but this 'card' like through sprint (and maybe cingular) is probably what I'm looking for here. Does the computer have to be set up to accept these cards? If it isn't is there a way to make it set up for them (a drive you can buy)? Hubby's I'm pretty sure is already set up to do that, but daughter's isn't. We get both sprint and cingular service where I"m at, she gets cingular for sure, not sure about sprint.

Bob (hubby) can take his laptop to work with him and pick up signals (it's in the Chicago area, probably lots of hot spots around there), but here he doesn't get that, so hoping using a card would make it available. Yes? No?

I didnt read everything that was posted as I am at work, let me ask a few questions to see where you stand?

1.) You have a wireless router?

2.) You have broadband?

3.) You have wireless network adapters in all laptops and desktops in the house?

4.) You have yoru PC's set to accept remote access under system properties -> remote tab?

5.) You have all PC's set to automatically find IP address or not?

Those are basic starting questions, the router is a must if you plan on sharing connections in the house.

We can start here and then get deeper if needed

Latest posts

Back