Winter weather

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my husband's welding hammer. It has a pointed end and a chisel end. The point knocked everything off like a charm. I didn't have the Pam with me, as I was experimenting with the hammer. I will spray the hooves when I go out to feed this evening. Also took off their blankets as the sun is shining and no wind. It's only 9 degrees, but without the wind it isn't so bad. They needed the blankets off, I think, for a little while. Dapper Dan had a good roll.
We can do without "a historic" winter episode, for sure.

Mine usually only have this problem when their hooves are growing out (just before farrier visit). If kept trimmed regularly it will still happen, just not as much. I've used warm water too. Never thought of the cooking spray! Great idea! Too chicken to use a hammer, but have dug them out with strong hoof pick. It's just tedious and not much fun if the horse isn't thrilled with the process! (I HATE winter!)
Same here, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a hammer, I just use a hoof pick. I've heard Vaseline works too.

Checking in from Alask... Dallas, Texas. 🥶

We didn't have electricity for 36 hours. Our water was lost for about 24 hours. BUT we got a couple of cute snow photos, so... bright side? My gelding, Ranger, came from Ohio and I'm pretty sure he was thinking he had left this kind of weather for good.

Ranger 02.17.2021.png

Hoping things are getting better in your part of the country. Winter has been a real bear lately.

Ranger is so striking and he has a great trot....he‘s moving through the snow like he owns it. 😉

Luckily, I think we made it through the worst of it without any real long term damage. I honestly don't know how people further north handle this year after year. I know several folks that have barns connected to their indoor arenas - and I guess that's how to make it work, but I'd never leave the barn. 😂 I'd need a house connected to a barn connected to an indoor where I never had to actually be outside when it's sub freezing temperatures.

@MaryFlora thanks! He's my only mini (9 horses, 8 big, 1 mini) and our running joke is that he's got a big ego but lacks critical thinking skills, much like a 4 year old human. There are times he insists he knows where we're going or what comes next and he prances off like that. We call it his (toddler voice) "I DO IT MYSELF" trot. LOL

Latest posts

Back