Winter pasture.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
Our main fence that we use for our haflinger and mini was iced over this weekend, and the only place they can get out for now, until we get more snow, is the grass pasture. It is covered with a good bit of snow, but the haffie can easily dig down to get at what grass is there. Neither have been on the grass for more than an hour a day.

I'd like to leave them out all day.........unless it's not safe. My better judgement is telling me it's asking for trouble, but I just want to be sure on the off chance they might be fine. Do I need to worry about anything right now, in the dead of winter, if they are able to pick at what is there? It's the only other option, rather than leaving them in the stall all day, and the haffie is not happy about that!

Thank you!

Are you worried about laminitis ?

I wouldn't think there's anyway your grass could have much sugar content at this time of year.

Well, in general, I'm just worried about putting an easy keeper who hasn't been out on grass for more than an hour a day, out in a fence where they can get grass that does still have green to it. I know in the summer, putting them out there all day would not be a smart decision at all, but I'm just wondering if leaving them out all day with 6" of snow on top would in any way be to harmfull.

I'm thinking I'm not going to risk it, and just leave them out for a couple hours or so. The change may just be to much all at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
All mine are out all the time on knee deep grass.

At this time of year there is not really anything in it and I would not be worried.

Mine stay out year round, on good grass, 24/7 and suffer no ill effects if you do not count sagging waist lines!!!

If a horse is in good health and not in danger of founder there is no reason why it cannot be fat.
default_smile.png

One of the pastures we turn our horses out in is very icy right now. It was perfect until this morning and because of all the melting in the past 24 hours, it's down to ice. Our back pasture is still fine, so we have 2 turned out there. We have 3 extra roundpens just sitting against our barn, so we ended up putting the other 5 horses, who usually are turned out in the front pasture that is now icy, out in the back field today with the pens. They can dig through the snow and get grass, but it's pretty dead and I dont think they are getting alot. By then time they dig it up, they've pretty much destroyed the grass anyways with their digging. It didnt take them long to figure out it was way more effort then it was worth and they've actually stopped digging and have been playing non-stop.

My horses are on dry lots and only get grass a few hours a day after show season in the fall, so they are not normally on grass. But, the grass is pretty darn dead under the snow, and they are not getting much at all, so I am not at all worried.

~Jen~

Thank you so much for the replies! I guess I won't worry to much then. The only reason I did was because, believe it or not, the grass is still really green under there. On the hill we are on, there really wasn't ever a point this fall where the grass turned brown, and died. I did watch them picking though, and watched where they were pawing into the grass, and they really aren't getting much like you said Jen.

Hurry up and get here spring!
default_biggrin.png

Thank you again all!
default_saludando.gif

Hi Geri!

I'd not worry a minute about that grass. I'll be good exercise for them to dig through 6"--and I can't imagine they'd get very much--or that it's too rich at all.

It's been a mess here--first 2' of snow, so lots of digging. Then it rained so there were icy patches. It's been 50 and windy for two days so it's mud now. Sheesh--wish it's freeze and snow just enough to make easy walking--then stay still for weeks.
default_smile.png

I guess it depends on where you are and how its growing.

My concern with planted winter grass is once it gets long, it can have a tendancy to get thick and dence and can grow mold underneath,

if too much moisture collects from rain.

This has happened to me so I had to cut it down, and rake it up for obvious safety reasons.

The pasture is actually just part of the lawn that we fenced in. It's not long at all, and it is under 6" of snow, but if you dig up some of the grass under there to look, it's still definately green.

They'll be going out again today to play after they finish their breakfast...........they'll be happy to get outside!

Your post is similar to mine about the grass. I too know about grass issues, but per my other horse friends locally and online here, the grass may be green, but it's not growing. They should be okay. I left mine out for a few hours at first at watched them carefully. Since they continued to eat okay, drink okay, poop okay, and their feet didn't feel hot and they weren't ouchy walking, I assumed everyone else was right. They have now done the routine of being in a stall all day and night except for the three or four hours of grass I get them. Hopefully soon, my electric will be done and I will feel more secure to leave them out all day and bring them to the barn at night.

Latest posts

Back