Winter coats, they're sweating to death

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
They are working hard on growing their winter coats. It's horible seeing that we still are having a heat wave here that is nasty.

They don't even want to be out in the pastures. I have left the main gate open so that they can come into the new barn for shade. And that's where they all have been spending the week. They go out for less than an hour, and when I look out, there they are just hold up in the new barn that is very cool inside.

I'm fixing to bite the bullet and start some clipping here and hope all my blades haven't gone dull. Oh rats. I really hate body clipping.

Timmy was so horribly hot yestarday. His baby fur was just so hot that I gave him a little sponge bath with a bucket of water and it was so cute. He just stood there by me loving every minute of it. What a doll. A holy terror, but a doll too.

I had to go thru and clip my babies again last week, they were growing their coats way too long and thick. As much as they run and play I didn't want any of them to get too overheated with all that fur. That was probably the last time for the year tho.

ALL of my horses started growing their winter coats almost 2 weeks ago. They just all the sudden got fluffy
unsure.gif
Think we should be worried
sad.gif

I haven't even clipped Karo yet and she is just about 3 months old. At this point I might just skip it and wait until she's a yearling
yes.gif

Weird weather this year that's for sure
wacko.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ours are growing thiers also....and our weather is hot...upper 90s-100.....bleck! My husband installed a misting system in the stalls and I have a fan for Bay B the pg mare, so I am readyy when she foals , now if only she would cooperate!!!!

Ours are shedding like mad here. I have to brush them and I am getting tons of hair off them.

I didn't even get to see a summer coat on my little guy. He was in such rough shape when I brought him home he was still sporting most of his (dead, greasy, awful) winter coat beginning of July. By the time he was healthy enough to lose that he had winter hair coming through. But I can't blame him, even though it's blinkin' hot in the day time our night temps have been dipping as low as 5 celcius.

I live in the Northeast and they get clipped in May and end of July. They are much more comfortable. Babies who love to sleep in the sun are much more suseptible to heat related stress.

Latest posts

Back