Winning a $10,000,000 lottery???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zarah

Reaction score
Just saw a TV show where David was helping a $10M winner to buy a new home. And the guy was wanting to spend maximum of $600,000 for his retirement condo in Florida.

I was thinking what would I do. First thing would be to help a family member with nursing home and possible repayment to VA of some benefits. (Less than $100K). Get rid of headaches for them first. Then maybe a home or farm home with land.

What it the first thing you’d take care of if you had that much winning? And then what dream thing would you look to purchase?

I would buy land, too. Preferably an old farm house with the barn attached so I would not have to run outside in the winter. 40 acres would be nice in my dream world. I would stay in New England as I don't like hot weather.
I would buy my mom a new car. I'd give some money to a couple of rescues, and maybe buy a pleasure horse, probably an older Morgan. In my dream world I would also have a small indoor arena. Nothing fancy or huge, just enough so I could drive the minis a little in nasty weather. That would be about it.
Maybe I would take in a rescue horse or two or provide stalls for the local rescue if they needed them.
I KNOW would have my groceries delivered, this I am 100% sure of :) !

Pay-off the mortgage, first. Then, a small indoor arena would be nice. We don't have kids, so perhaps a college fund for my niece and nephew. Donations to a few selection rescue organizations. ANd, the list changes a little everytime I think about this sort of thing.

Those are great ideas for a winning. Not living “high”, just a bit more than now.

I like the indoor arenas for too hot or cold or nasty weather.

I love the 40 acres, that sounds like a really nice size.

I have the property already (55 acres) but if I had the money I'd buy a house for my special needs daughter and set up a trust for her so she would always have enough. Then pay off my son's mortgage and my BIL/SIls as well. Some would be earmarked for charity too and I would like an indoor, outdoor, new barn and some developing done to the property to improve pastures etc. Other than truly big ticket items like that I dont need much. We own our house and have pretty frugal habits. My big splurge might be a new vehicle, I'd like to go electric :D This imagining what to do with a big win seems to be a favorite past time for the people I know. I read somewhere you should not do anything right away and try to get some financial advice, too many people win millions and in a few years they are flat broke and it has destroyed their lives. Personally its a risk I'd be willing to take lol

Back