Windy Hill ~~ Duchess

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessj

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I thought that it was probably time to start a thread for Duchess.

Duches is a 29.5" AMHA (soon to be AMHR) Black Bay mare from Appaloosa lines. She does have some roaning on her face.

Duchess lived on a large farm that bred non registered minis for a few years and foaled for them several times. She was bought in foal by a friend of mine after that . She lost that foal during birth.(a gorgeous blanketed appaloosa colt) Not sure what happened, the foal was dead when they found it.

I bought Duchess in foal in early december. She has been pastured with an AMHA black leopard appaloosa stallion. Duchess was seen breeding on April 1-2, 2012 and has not been seen in heat since. If she "caught" on then that would put her at 300days on January 26, 2013; 330days on February 25, 2012; and at 365 on April 1, 2012. Because of her last foaling I will be watching EXTRA carefully. I do know that with the foal that she lost she started "bagging up" about 6weeks before foaling.

I hope to get from this breeding a black fewspot colt (wich would prove Duchess to be positive for LP) or a black leopard colt. If I get either of these and he has Duchess' pretty face and is nice and refined he would definitely be retained as a Jr stallion.

Since I bought her in the winter, I dont have any great pics of Duchess. (cant wait for summer to get here so I can dye her mane and tail and clip her!) Here are a few. The last pic is the stallion that she is bred to.

SANY9418 (3).jpg

SANY0050.JPG

SANY9810.JPG

305709_195440683860762_1082233854_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And a couple of udder pics so that we have a starting place! The first one is from mid december the second is from yesterday.

SANY9483.JPG

SANY0063.JPG

Wooo Hoo! Diane's got me excited now
default_smile.png
Can't wait to see this baby!

Ok...I got a couple more pics of the stallion that Duchess (and magic) is bred to. The one that I had shows his color well, but makes his conformation look horrible..and he is actually nice and refined with a pretty little head! So here he is at a little fun day show!

10563_392712710800224_623827378_n.jpg

227481_392712667466895_1747925368_n.jpg

Cute boy! I'm assuming thats a child leading him? I thought adult at first but that would make about 14hh haha

They are both gorgeous and yes the photo did make the daddy look huge... I was confused for a moment ..lol...Mumma look so cute with her big wooly coat on it will be great to see her colour when she gets her summer coat.. Thanks for the new thread, much easier for me to follow hahaha... how tall is Daddy ??

Duchess got her mane and tail dyed today. I also trimmed up the long hairs on her face and the long hairs on her udder. She is getting a bit of edema in front of her udder. I *possibly* saw some fetal movement last night...but its hard to tell with all that hair!

SANY0274.JPG

SANY0253.JPG

SANY0254.JPG

SANY0263.JPG

Poor little Duchess is very lopsided today! She is so tiny compared to Izz...i feel like she is gonna topple over! I will take new udder shots in the morning and see if we have any progress there yet.

SANY0837.JPG

Here is Duchess this morning. I bought her as *possibly* in foal...but from the pics she looks in foal to me. What do yall think??? Her udder looks like it may have filled a tiny bit in the back. Both udder pics are from today...just standing differently. It is so nice knowing that she started bagging up 6weeks ahead last time! Will take more pics and compare next saturday.

SANY0895.JPG

SANY0854.JPG

SANY0863.JPG

SANY0866.JPG

Second photo looks like you threw hay at her face and she's insulted lol
lol..l put a new round bale in the run in shelter for them yesterday. All three of the girls in that pasture came out this morning with "hay head'!

Since Izzie isnt in with them to boss everyone around right now, Duchess has decided that she is the boss. So funny to see the tiniest girl (she's only 29") telling every one else what to do!

Time for a weekly Duchess update!! IF she took on april 1, 2012 that would make her 300days today! Here are this weeks pics.

PICT0104.JPG

PICT0101.JPG

SANY1005.JPG

PICT0098.JPG

PICT0097.JPG

Latest posts

Back