Windchill -20/40 degree expected tips on keeping animals safe.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
We are expecting some really cold weather for a few days and I'm scared!! My animals all have nice shelter and plenty of hay along with heated water tanks but is there anything else I can do? I have goats,horses big and little. I'v never experienced these low temps before.Any advice is appreciated.

We had the -20 windchill last night. If they are out of a draft and dry they will be fine. I don't think they enjoy it necessarily, but minis handle it better than larger horses. I would give more hay and a little bit more grain. Make sure waters are topped off and they will be just fine!

Yes minis handle the cold fine. Feeding more hay, not more grain creates heat from within as the extra energy to digest the fiber exerts heat. Most important is keeping them hydrated. Keep water buckets insulated and topped off regularly so mini des not get impaction colic. As long as mini has a wind block from the cold every thing will be fine.

With hay, shelter and heated waterers, it sounds like your horses are all set for cold weather. They really do tolerate the cold well as long as they have bellies full of hay and warm water to drink when they want it. This past week we have had temperatures of 35 below and windchills of 50 below and our horses have all been fine. I froze my backside off doing the chores a couple of nights, but the horses seemed comfortable right through.

Another thing I found is that the minis seem to prefer to be outside unless it is totally ridiculous weather. Cold, snow, wind, they seem to know that they will stay warmer if they move around. Even Rusty (who is recovering from bobcat attack) wanted to go out this morning when it was about zero degrees. Moving around and/or standing in the sun are very popular, as long as bellies are full of hay. He is even foregoing his bedded-with-hay-stall, which is another way to keep hay in front of (or underneath) them all the time. And since Rusty can't lift his neck really high yet, we are using a Playmate cooler for his water, topped off with warm water frequently. Everyone else has a heated tub and/or bucket. He is also the only one with a blanket due to lots of body clipping and being in a warm hospital for 2+ weeks.

When the weather takes a dramatic cold turn, I feed an evening warm bran mash with a dash of electrolyte salts to help prevent a chance of weather induced colic. In fact, my vet sends emails when the weather turns requesting his clients do this to cut down on all the colic calls he gets on impaction colics when the weather turns suddenly.

Here in Florida we can have 70 degrees one day, then rain, rain, rain, and cold winds come in with a drop to 32 degrees and under. Its the cold winds blowing on wet horses that bothers me, but they will stand out in the weather when they have a chance to be under. I do close in my old mare even tho she does not like to be in a stall. We have a few hard freezes each year and it is a pain, so I feel for all of you having to deal with it more often. I don't have bucket heaters and have to break ice and haul hot water so they hopefully will drink.

In 1989 we had quite a large snowfall and ice everywhere, other years we have had light snow but that was the biggie. I had 3 horses just back from a show, clipped, but plenty of blankets and wrapped legs, they were fine.

Hello Indiana from MN!

We have the same experience in the extreme cold as those folks who have already posted. Our horses do very well in the cold, but I sympathize with 'Minimor' - no matter how much padding we have, or add, we can't match our equine companions! Even on the bitterest night, I can run my bare hand up under a mane and feel the body heat - amazing.

Our minis have free access to a good round bale, dry barn with stalls, salt, and heated waterers and they are nine times out of ten standing outside. We have had our oldest mini since 1995 (he is now 26 years) and he has weathered many a cold bitter day quite well with these options.

I am very grateful, however, for the heated electric waterer -we have a Richey waterer and it has lasted for many cold seasons! I hate to admit it, but if I had to choose between indoor plumbing and that heated waterer, I think I'd choose the waterer! I know the ponies would agree
default_yes.gif

It sounds like your animals are well prepared to handle what Mother Nature sends!

Here in Va we are in a deep freeze too! They say the coldest temps in 20 years, it was 2 degrees this morning!! It is not that often that my water buckets freeze but they were frozen this morning!! Most nights durning the winter I bring them a bucket of nice warm water when I bring them in for the night. I feed them their grain and make sure they have plenty of hay to last all night. Then when I go out to do lights out I bring more warm water to top off their bucket.

Yesterday I took a look at those heated buckets at our Co-op when I picked up grain. I am a little reluctant to get one because I'm worried that my 2 minis might get to the cord even though it is wrapped in a metal coil. Do you use them in their stalls over night? I guess I'm afraid of it being plugged in all night too......I don't mind bringing warm water from my house, our barn is right out back but wanted to get some thoughts and advice on the heated water buckets??????

I LOVE the heated buckets! I don't know what I'd do without them. What I did with the cord, was I put a plastic case with a hole in it over the plug. Then, I attached the the cord to the wall with these metal things (sorry, I don't know what they're called). This way, Breaker cannot pull the cord out no matter what. It takes some effort to take it out and clean it, but his bucket is in his stall and doesn't get very dirty so I only have to clean it once a month.

ETA: Sorry, I just realized I did a terrible job of explaining it. I'm just not sure what everything is called. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My heated buckets hang on the stall walls closest to an electrical outlet. I drill a hole in the wall and pass the cord from behind (under) the bucket thru the wall and out to the plug. I also have to have two that go up the wall behind the bucket and out the stall bars. No one in 10 years has chewed on the cord or played with it enough to unplug it. I wouldn't attempt to live in Wisconsin without heated buckets. At my age I hate having to carry buckets to the stalls at horse shows!

just make sure your outlets are connected well (no bare or frayed wires) and keep the area clean of dust and cobwebs and of course hay.

Thanks Jenny, I am not so good at describing things in words either!!!!! Lol So a picture would be great!! I guess putting an electrical cord that's plugged in all night just makes me nervous, I'm a real worry wart! Lol We built our barn a year ago this past summer and put the electric in this summer, I waited a year to see if I really needed electric out there and yes I did! So now I do have the heated bucket option this winter!!

While we have the standing electric waterer in the barn, we do have one electric bucket in a stall for those times someone needs to be stalled for whatever reason. Like Jenny, we attached the cord to the wall with the metal

prongs that look like big staples and then run the cord up the wall and out of the stall to the outlet. We had an older large horse that was stabled last year for about two weeks for a medical problem and we had the bucket plugged in the whole time with no problem. I think maybe it helps when the outlets are up and out of the dust, hay, etc., as stated by Sandee. Since Comanche (the 'patient') likes to play with things, we did seat the bucket inside of a rubber feeder tub to help minimize any 'wiggling'. It seemed to help.

Go to the hardware store and ask for outdoor outlet boxes. They make a plastic box that screws over the outlet with plastic hinged covers that protect the plug from water. You can buy a thermocube that plugs into the outlet and you plug the appliance into it. It is thermostatically controlled to shut off over 32º. New heated buckets have a built in thermostat and shut off at temp. If you dont feel safe with electrical buckets, buy a bucket cozy they are a ski jacket for a bucket. They insulate it to keep water from freezing but require no electricity.

This is the craziest weather!!! I board my 2 Minis but it is only a mile from the house..I have them bedded down deeper than usual..Horse hay nets full.( to me the nets for Minis are just too small,) I feed hay free choice..I take hot water to be barn in 1 gal. milk jugs and combine with the water left in the buckets.I also feed beet pulp soaked in very warm water..If I see one shiver,that is the only time I will put a blanket on.I'm going to go to the barn every 2 hours through out the night.(I work 3rd shift but happen to be off this week,great timing..lol) I'm going to be helping Bob and Raymie Samuels with their herd these next two days.We need to think also of our elderly Mini owners that may need our help..I'm 59 but still younger than they are..Besides they are my Buddies and don't live far..Everybody keep safe..This is frost bite weather..I know the Minis are probably taking it better than we are..I'm ready to bring them to the house and put them in the spare bedroom..LOL.

I don't have electric outlets close enough to our stalls for buckets in the stall (though I'm hoping to get an electrician out here this summer to fix that!). We also run our electric from the house using heavy duty extension cords. At this point, we can't put anything more onto the "load" of that breaker. So the #1 goal for the summer is to get an electrician to put in a dedicated breaker in the house with a panel at the barn.

Anyway, what we do is close the barn area gates to keep the girls near their stalls. They have the freedom to come in and out as they choose. Last night I forced them up to the barn area because they were wet from eating on the round bale in the pasture during the day. I gave them nearly a bale of hay last night (for 5 horses) split up between the stalls. For water, we have a 100 gallon trough that we use for our "supply". We keep that topped off but it's too tall for the girls once it drops a few inches and they're not interested in drinking from it. We also have a 16 gallon "muck bucket" sized heated bucket that sits next to the 100 gallon trough. We use a smaller, clean bucket (it hangs on the fence where these two are located) to transfer water from the 100 gallon to the 16 gallon. I generally top off the 16 gallon twice a day. Using this 16 gallon bucket allows me to see how much (or not) water is being consumed. I also check out the window regularly and can often see one or more horses getting a drink throughout the day.

While I have blankets, I won't put any on the horses unless I see signs of them not weathering the cold well. Tomorrow is going to be a rough one for us here in Maryland. And of course, I have appointments that will take me out of the house in the afternoon and evening. I'm much more concerned about that than I am the horses who really don't seem bothered by any of this. It's quite amazing to witness.

Well, the nationwide winter freeze has made it's way down south now, we expect 18 degrees tonight and wind chills zero. I am having a hard time getting all the horses situated and prepared for this as my back picked a bad time to go out on me and I have no help. So I am creeping around with baby steps taking 10 times as long to do everything,but determined to protect these little guys in my usual routine for cold weather. Hoping for all of you to get through safely as well.

I am filling rope handle tubs full as they usually only freeze about an inch's depth on the top and I can break the ice and still have water access for them. I think minis are pretty tough but I have a couple of old mares having trouble this year keeping a good weight, so they will get more than one meal tonight of warm bran, they love it thank goodness. I am not putting a blanket on them unless I see them shiver, like others on here have said, feeling under their manes is warm, amazing. Most of them will come through this better than I will! Yesterday it was 65 degrees, and now this.

To top off our -40 degrees we got 16.5 inches of snow and lost power twice. Power is back my bathtub is filled with emergency water,been scary but the animals all seem ok.

Latest posts

Back