Willing to adopt an orphan mini foal ASAP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmacsminis

Reaction score
My mare Bella lost her foal two nights ago. Despite her being only 3 weeks from her due date (confirmed by two ultrasounds) the colt was born underdeveloped and died immediately after birth. She is still mourning her foal, continues to search for him and dripping milk. She is a very gently loving sweet mare, approximately 32" tall. We would like to get her an orphaned foal to help her cope as she is taking this loss very hard.

I have even tried locating orphan lambs with no luck. We live near Allegan, MI but I would be willing to travel 3 hours one way to pick up or meet someone who has an orphan foal.

We have necessary medical equipment as well as training to care for a special needs foal. We carry oxygen tanks, full emergency kit, lactated ringers IV solution, as well as normal saline, glucose, nasal tubes for feeding, etc. Plus our vet can respond to our home in less than 15 minutes and very knowledgeable about miniature horses and foals.

If you know anyone who has recently lost a mare and has an orphaned miniature foal, donkey, or mule baby please contact me. We know what it is like to care for an orphan and the toll it takes on a person, as well as the toll on the foal. The mare can teach the foal manners that us humans can not.

We will keep this option open for a week, but after that we run the risk she dries up completely.

Please if you know anyone with an orphan contact us ASAP! We have excellent vet references from our local vet as well as the vets at Michigan State University Veterinary hospital. I have been an EMT for over ten years, my husband is an RN as well as a Critical Care Flight Paramedic. Between the two of us we have a combined 25+ years of emergency medical experience. I also volunteered with many equine rescues and vet clinics, as well as a 4-H leader for over 8 years.

We also maintain 24 hr cameras in every stall, we have a heated tack room, 10 acres of land, and 17 additional acres leased from our neighbors. The foal would be exceptionally cared for.

The attached photo is of our mare Bella taken last spring. It is breaking my heart watching her mourn the loss of her foal. Please help us find an orphan she can adopt!

Sorry for your loss
default_sad.png
It must be hard for you and Bella. I hope you can find a mini foal soon.

I hope you find someone with an orphan or perhaps even a twin that needs a foster mom!

This may be too late, but milking a mare with colostrum for up to 2 days is a good idea and freezing it in ice cube trays.

Once the trays are frozen you put the cubes in freezer bags and the colostrum is good for a full year.

Latest posts

Back