Will mare come back into heat???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueprintminis

Reaction score
Sadly, I found a tiny, 3 inch fetus that one of the mares must have JUST aborted before I stepped out back.
no.gif
It was still safely inside it's tiny bubble. I checked the gestation chart and figured it was between 60 and 80 days of development. I narrowed it down to one of 4 mares that were bred between 60 and 80 days ago, but I could not definitively figure out which of the 4 it came from. I know time will tell which one it belonged to. My question is does anyone know if the mare that lost it will come back into heat still this fall? I know there is something about hormones in the system after a certain length of pregnancy that will keep the mare's system thinking it is pregnant. I really want to figure out now (without having to palpate/ultrasound all 4 mares) which one it was so she can be checked out and flushed and ready be rebred in the spring.

Laura......I had a mare abort at exactly 60 days, and her fetus was just 3" long.

She came back into season 3 - 4 weeks later, but it wasn't fall. Since it's later in the year, this mare may not come back in now until spring. Sorry to hear you lost one.
sad.gif

I had the same thing happen last year, it was mid Sept., my mare was actually 5 months along and aborted. She cleaned well and came cycled back within 7 days and was bred back after covering her twice. Sadly though, I was gone when she foaled about a month ago, and my husband isn't as vigilant as I am and by the time he got out to the barn, the foal was partially delivered and it was too late. Apparantly the mare needed a little help to get the shoulders out. I was devastated; it was a little tri color filly.

I hope your mare cycles back.

Thanks for the responses. It is sad to lose one at any stage of the pregnancy, but this early one wasn't nearly as losing one the way bpotze described. I hope to be able to tell so I can get the mare vet checked and ready to re breed in the Spring.

Laura

Laura,

It's not likely she will come back in heat this year. After 42 days, the hormones are present which may keep her from cycling again. Being this late in the year, it's that much less likely. However, remember if you decide to have them checked, you would only have to do 3, as you would either find the one who is open, or find them all pregnant, in which case you would know it was #4.

You could also watch their behavior. Our experience has been that if a mare aborts, she drops in the pecking order. That's not a definate, but may help. If you want the mares ultrasounded, p.m. us about it.

Latest posts

Back