Will hawk attack a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeganH

Reaction score
We have a new neighbor I am a little worried about. He is beautiful, I do admit... but he likes to hang around uninvited and watch my minis. This is him:

DSCN6639-2.JPG

He often perches on the fences. Last night I woke up and checked the horses about 2am and there he was- perched on the fence looking at my colt. He hopped down and stood in Ricky's paddock about 15-20 feet away from him. Then he flew to perch on another fence post. I made my way outside and the hawk flew away. My husband says he's seen him at night like that before.

Has anyone ever heard of a hawk actually attacking a miniature horse? I searched and found nothing online.

Gosh Megan, I think I would be worried too, I doubt he would harm them but who knows? Don't you have a dog that could frighten him away?

He is stunning though
wub.gif

NO he wont attack your babies!

But he is a clever preditor and is however watching for moles, mice, rats, chipmunks, and small squierrls. Where their is a barn and livestock, the hawks knows there's grain which = rodents. So they watch for them to run along the fence lines and out buildings to to nab one up. Rodents use these areas as their personal little highways. And Im guessing this cooper hawk has noticed it and now waiting for a easy dinner.

Good preditor to have unless you have free range chickens or pigons.

I think you are lucky to have him around. He'll keep the pests down around your farm. I have to keep an eye on my chickens when we've got hawks around but they do keep the mice population under controll
default_smile.png

MindyLee thanks for the explanation, I know nothing about birds of prey
rolleyes.gif
Sounds like he is good to have around then
aktion033.gif

The only "large livestock" ive ever seen them go after are newborn pigmy goats. Mini foals are way too big.

I love hawks!!!

Andrea

I feel much better now
yes.gif
Thank you all so much for all the info! They sound exceptionally smart.

He really is beautiful. I think he knows it because he sat happily still for me to take a few pictures. I can't get over those talons!

He talks to another hawk up in the trees I have seen before. Good to know they shouldn't bother my minis.
aktion033.gif

My dogs are all medium size and he does flee when they are out to do their business.

So of course, I go into the hay and feed shed and what do I see? I mouse's behind as it scurries away. Now I am very thankful for my hawk friend. I hope he has a nice dinner.
yes.gif

He's gorgeous! I personally couldn't have him staying around because I have Chihuahuas, but if I didn't I'd love to have one that hung out at my place. Thanks for taking such a beautiful pic of him.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back