Will adult hens accept young chicks?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
They are now almost completely feathered. When I 1st got them 3-4 weeks ago the hens seemed aggressive. Tried to peck them and lunged at them. I have been putting the baby Brahmas out during the day in good weather. They are in a completely enclosed pen. The hens have checked them out but didn't pay much attention. Today something changed. All the hens where standing close to the side of the pen all huddled together and the chicks were trying to get close to them on the inside. They were jumping and talking to the hens. There wasn't any aggressive behavior. So will hens accept babies that aren't their owm? I'm affraid to find out. Don't want my babies to get hurt:( any advice or share experiences would be welcome.

In my limited experience, they should be fine together, especially if they are socializing through the fence. The hens won't mother them, but after some flock adjustment for the little ones they will sort it out and be fine.

I have 6 young chicks(6wks) I'm about to introduce to the flock I have at the folks farm. I put them in a cage in the henhouse for a day or so, then let them out in the general population.

This method has worked for me in the past and they haven't had any problems. Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

Back