Wildfires in NM and TX....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
New Mexico has already been fighting some huge wildfires; just yesterday, 4 or 5 more began...after one last week destroyed a lot of country in/near Ruidoso/Ruidoso Downs(the track is the lifeblood of the area's economy)...and now the concerns are about mudslides on the denuded slopes...thankfully, no lives were lost, but many lost all they owned.

Now this AM I read on my MSN home page about wildfires around TX, and West Texas is mentioned, but w/ no details. While I was out in the barn doing AM chores, my sister called to tell me that our elderly aunt's home in Ft. Davis BURNED TO THE GROUND! Thank God, my aunt is OK, was removed to Alpine...but the house, and others in Ft. Davis, apparently, is GONE. Teresa, are you out there? Do you know anything? Or, anyone else who might have further information?? West Texas is not the most heavily populated part, and many are unfamiliar with it, but it is my personal favorite part of TX(I was in fact born there, in Marfa), and I have many wonderful memories 'built' there. I am deeply concerned for that beloved place, and am praying for all, the people AND the country. I hope you all will join me in this, for ALL who are having to deal with frightening and dangerous conditions all around our country. And, I'd very much appreciate ANY information from anyone 'in the know'.I have not found much save generalities online....

EDITED TO ADD: I finally found some info on the website for the Marfa newspaper, the "Big Bend Sentinel". My aunt's house was the loveliest house I've ever personally known...my mom did the interior decoration of it, and it was like a second home for me from when I was about 12, when it was built(in the early to mid '50s--yet it was so far 'ahead of its time' that it never seemed 'dated'.) A large number of homes were apparently lost in Ft. Davis. It is a gut-wrenching day for me.

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
I only caught the tail end of the news tonight. Try googling a Dallas/Fort Worth TV station. I know the one I was watching was Channel 5. We also have Channels 4, 8 and 11/21.

That is terrible about your aunt, Margo. I, too, have been wondering where exactly the TX fires are. It's a big state! LIke saying there's a fire in Europe...

We are greatly at risk here in SW OK. Someone I know further east, near Norman, had to evacuate. Their gated community was in the path of a wildfire. Helicopters scooped water from their manmade lake to drop on the fire.

Margo, so sorry about your aunt's home...very frightening. I can't give you any specifics in west Texas, just what I've heard on the news. Can tell you how dry it is here though - we are in a tinderbox. What part of Ruidoso, do you know? My brother has a house near Nogal outside of Ruidoso.

Jan

Jan...

Sorry, I don't know much about exactly where the Ruidoso fire hit, except that the Downs was threaten, and that a public stable on the hill behind the Downs lost the owner's mobile home.

My aunt is nearly 92; was adamant about staying in her beloved home until she passed, so this is especially hard on her. I have heard from the LB member who lives in that area, and her description of what was happening was just HORRIFYING! My computer went down Tues. AM; I had the tower unhooked, in the truck to take for service yesterday, no luck w/ locally-advertised services, so came back home figuring I'd have to drive it into the city today...decided to rehook it this AM, just to see what would happen...and voila, it is working again!!!??? Now, I hope to be able to reconnect w/ her again, to see what has happened since...last I had heard, the fire was still spreading, and had traveled what to me is an UNBELIEVABLE distance....

Margo

Margo,

In what part of New Mexico are you located, and are you safe from the fires (at least for now)? Please stay safe, and let us know if you become threatened.

Susanne, thanks for your concern. I am just east across the Sandia Mts. from Albuquerque,down on the 'skirts' of the mountains, where the land becomes gently rolling. It is TINDER dry here, same as in much of TX and the rest of the SW, so the danger is ALWAYS there, and the entire 'East Mountain' area, as it is called, is on alert. A scary time, for sure. We'd welcome some of the Pacific NW's rain out here in the SW, for sure!

How's the arm? Well on the mend, I hope...it is sure no fun to be 'hobbled' by injury.

Margo

From the map on weatherbug, it looks like the Ruidoso fire is/was just where you said - kind of on the north side of the Downs and northeast of Ruidoso proper. Very heavily treed up there. I hope it has been contained, but with this kind of season these fires can pop up anywhere. I was in Georgetown the other day ( relatively small college town) and drove past a small fire where dry leaves had built up at the edge of the street. Wouldn't have taken much of the wind we are having for it to jump the curb and threaten homes & businesses.

Jan

Latest posts

Back