wild oats/alfalfa mix hay???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAYO

Reaction score
Having some trouble finding hay here, may need some late this winter. Made a couple of calls and found some that is a wild oat/alfalfa mix. Does anyone know anything about this kind of hay? I know that I would have to introduce any new hay slowly to my horses, I am concerned about the wild oats, don't know anything about it. Any input would be appreciated.
default_wacko.png

I used to feed both alfalfa and oat hay to my big horses. Also to the race horses on the track. I wish I could find some mix hay like that. All I could get was Alfalfa/grass mix that was more alfalfa than grass. It has almost no grass in it. If it isn't too expensive I would go for it.

Put up right ,good hay, wrong lots of stems and can be moldy. Check it by smelling of it. I mean really get your nose in it too. If you can get a flake from the middle of a bale and take a deep smell. Should smell fresh not dusty. That really applys to most all hays.
default_yes.gif

I have fed oat/alfalfa hay and it was wonderful they are not growing it this year as it was a cover crop for them last year. It was not to coarse and while it was for Ravens 13 hand pony we did feed it to the minis on occasion and they loved it

you do have to watch and make sure it is not to coarse though

Last edited:
Oat hay and alfalfa hay can both be good hays... as long as they are quality. A good portion of my horses' diets is oat/alfalfa pellets. The oat hay cuts the alfalfa a little bit, it's a grain hay but low in energy.

As long as it's not stemmy or dirty or moldy it should be just fine.

Andrea

I would suggest that there is quite a difference between oats and wild oats. We've fed oat hay though we prefer not to. If this is wild oats as kayo said, I don't think there'd be a whole lot of nutrition in the wild oats--there's just not a whole lot to wild oats--while I would feed oat hay if necessary, I wouldn't put money out to buy hay that had a high percentage of wild oats in it. That said, in this case I would assume/hope that this wild oat/alfalfa hay is mainly alfalfa? If so then I wouldn't care so much about the wild oats part of it.

Latest posts

Back