Wild Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hardly call this topic boring!!!!!!

Absolutely fascinating!!!!!!!

Although domestication of any horse brings benefits to them, completely ignoring what comes naturally to a herd animal IMO is detrimental to the wellbeing of that animal.

And ignoring that they are domesticated and not wild can end up with serious injury and a quick thinning of the herd through natural selection and survival of the fittest.

a couple years ago at congress i had the great opportunity to talk to a woman there that had been breeding shetland ponies for many years. (sorry cant remember her name, but lewella probably knows) I was so fascinated as she has never vaccinated her herd. The university of illinois did a study on her horses and even though they had never been vaccinated they all had immunity to common horse diseases.

she also (like many shetland breeders) lets her mares foal in the pasture and rarely has any trouble.

Miniwhinny,

I loved your stories! I also know of a mini farm that operates "somewhat" like the totally natural way and they are such a happy healthy herd.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back