Wild bay ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihingstar

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that my mini is wild bay, people said to me before that it can take some before their legs become dark. But my boy will be 3 years next year and still not even close to have a black sock. He has 3 white hoofs and socks but one black hoof and that leg is beige/gay at color. Can minis be wild bay and what do you think in his case ?

Now in winter coat his leg looks even white.

Ok then i must be confused because i thought that a wild bay was simply a bay where the black on the legs only came up to about ankle high instead of those with black much higher up???

I think it is just his sabino which very often will cause the horse to not have the dark points.

Ok then i must be confused because i thought that a wild bay was simply a bay where the black on the legs only came up to about ankle high instead of those with black much higher up???
that was my take on it too all these years

That was my take originally also. But with my pony in the winter when his hair is longer he looses a lot of the black higher up. It shows better in the summer. He also has the beige look to his legs, even more noticeable in winter..let me see if I can find a pic of him in his winter that shows it...

That is correct, Bonny. This little guy is sabino, which causes him to appear the strange color and washes out his points. I love sabino, but sometimes it is very confusing when it comes to base colors as it often gives the appearance that silver might be at play or something else causing the off color.

Just the sabino
default_smile.png

What's a wild bay (never heard that term)? Bonny, your horse looks like a typical bay (and a very nice one at that ;).

Wild bay is defined as this:

Horses with allele A+ are light or wild-type bay. Their points (particularly the lower legs), along with the mane, may be less strongly marked than for other bays (they may be “off-black”). The black on the points may also be more limited than for other bays (e.g. restricted to the fetlocks of the legs). There may be red hairs mixed in with the black portions of the cannon and lower leg, rather than them being solid black.

Last edited by a moderator:
your very welcome and thanks for the compliments on my boy
default_smile.png

I was inquiring about Dakota's coloring a few years ago, and Lewella suggested that he was wild bay. His points are more chocolate (off black) than the typical rich black you expect with a bay. He tested Ee, AA, no cream (he's from two buckskins and was initially registered as a red dun by his breeder).

I rather like this pic, and its shows more dark than he typically shows:

Dakota - June 5, 2007 - pretty boy.jpg

Here is a collage from when he was a tiny foal to just a yearling:

dakota collage.jpg

And, this fall, in all his chubby glory:

Dakota - Sept 27, 2012.jpg

Chandab, I would call him a wild bay
default_smile.png
amazing he didnt get the cream!

sorry dbl post

Last edited by a moderator:
Chandab, I would call him a wild bay
default_smile.png
amazing he didnt get the cream!
I was surprised about the no cream too, which is why I tested him for cream. He's a sweet boy, would have made wonderful babies had he been fertile; but now he's a carefree gelding, living the good life.

Good grief. That's a new one on me. I've been raising horses for over 40 years (AQHA before the minis) and had NEVER heard of any such color as "wild" bay before. But then I've never paid attention to color. Didn't care if a horse was pink or purple or green if it was built right.

Latest posts

Back