Why don't people transfer horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like some of the others do...............If the purchaser is not a member of either registry, I go ahead and transfer the horse into their name for them.
So when you do this yourself do you have to pay the non member transfer fee?? Or the member fee?

Her transfer papers have her breeder listed as her seller even though she's been through two other owners since she left the breeder
Pretty common situation - if you call the registry, they will likely tell you that each owner needs to be listed and a transfer paid for each sale. That's next to impossible in some cases, if you can't track the horse's history or past owners are not accessible. If past sales have not been documented, I'd just send it in as is. I see no reason to penalize the current buyer for what's not been kept up with in the past.

Jan

I do like some of the others do...............If the purchaser is not a member of either registry, I go ahead and transfer the horse into their name for them.
So when you do this yourself do you have to pay the non member transfer fee?? Or the member fee?
There is no "non-member" fee any longer. Only a mamber can do a transfer, but the member can transfer it into someone else's name who is not a member.

Her transfer papers have her breeder listed as her seller even though she's been through two other owners since she left the breeder
Pretty common situation - if you call the registry, they will likely tell you that each owner needs to be listed and a transfer paid for each sale. That's next to impossible in some cases, if you can't track the horse's history or past owners are not accessible. If past sales have not been documented, I'd just send it in as is. I see no reason to penalize the current buyer for what's not been kept up with in the past.

Jan
I agree--I would send the papers in with just that one transfer, from original breeder to yourself. No point in your paying late fees for two other transfers, not to mention going through the hassle of getting signatures from those other two prior owners. If they didn't care enough about having their names on the papers to do the transfers as they should have then that isn't the newest owner's problem. Just fill in your name and the current date & send it in.

Thank you wildoak and minimor, that is what I will do. Hopefully, it wont cause any problems. I apprecaite your input because I have no idea how I would have gotten the signature of the other previous owner. She seems to have good bloodline and I am interested in breeding her so I want to get her up to date on the registration.

Well for me. They are just my pets right now. I don't show them. One is unshowable, technically, because of an eye injury. Another I am pretty sure went over. And the third, well he needs permanent papers and I don't have the means to take him some where to be measured.

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum and to minis! I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question regarding transfering paperwork as well. I just got my mini last week, she has her temporary papers as she is only two years old. Her transfer papers have her breeder listed as her seller even though she's been through two other owners since she left the breeder! I am not sure what to do. I have a bill of sale from the lady I purchased her from. I am going to call AMHA and see what I need to do but I would appreciate any advice, I want to get her properly registered. Thank you!
well to save the fee's YOU'D have to pay for the transferes between people you can just fill out and sign the transfer in your name and the horse will bypass the other two owners that didnt' bother to transfer her to their names.

I can also only speak for myself but i do have one stallion who i haven't bothered to transfer under AMHA. I show almost strictly AMHR.....so it wasn't/isn't top priority. I hadn't even done the transfer yet but i figured i'd do that and bring him permanent at the same time.... My horse turned 5 and needed to be brought permanent but i didn't even relise it till it was too late and was going to cost $100 to bring him permanent ontop of the big membership fee. Just hasn't been all that important...... these registerd animals can certainly send you to the poor house!!

I have to say i was really shocked and dissapointed when i went to renew my AMHR membership that they tack on a $10 extra fee if you don't renew by a certain date (apparently they didn't get my membership stuff do to lost mail early in the season).. it made it SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS to be a member.. I didn't relise it till i got my Credit card statement.. ....and made no mention of it on their web page or anything. Now i really love AMHR but it was a nice "welcome back to our registry" for members that keep coming back.....

Last edited by a moderator:
.... My horse turned 5 and needed to be brought permanent but i didn't even relise it till it was too late and was going to cost $100 to bring him permanent ontop of the big membership fee. Just hasn't been all that important...... these registerd animals can certainly send you to the poor house!! .....
I hope you do realize that AMHA is temporarily waiving the late fee on bringing horses permanent. You can print off a coupon from their website.

I too will fill the transfer out in my name and transfer the horse for the new owner if they are not already members. Heck, it is only a few dollars, compared to what they would have to pay, considering the high price of Canadian memberships, just to transfer a horse.

I learned this lesson years ago after having someone come to me for help in getting their horse into their name...wanting information on former owners. I had sold that horse, and he had changed hands twice since...yet was still in my name...even though I had given the original buyers a signed transfer...and the fee in USD (cash!!)...which they obviously pocketed, leaving the horse in my name until several years later when someone else had to deal with the late fees. Gah!!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I totally disagree with having to become a member...simply to transfer a horse into one's name. Silly...and a bit greedy, IMHO. I do think there would be less non-transfered horses if there was a straight across the board non-memeber fee for transfers ONLY.

It would bug me no end to have papers that were never transferred--I try to get mine done within a couple months of purchasing the horse--I figure it's cheaper to do them right away than to set them aside & forget about them & end up paying a late fee. The other thing is, I always think that if something should happen--say house burns down--if the papers are in my name it's simple enough to replace them. If the papers haven't been transferred I would then have to go back to the seller & have them order replacement papers and provide me with another transfer. Hopefully such a thing will never happen, but if it did, that would be just too much hassle.
But, I know plenty of people that don't bother to transfer papers. Often they just want a pet & don't care at all about papers. If they don't show and don't breed, then papers aren't worth the money it takes to transfer them. I know one person that is just tickled to have her first ever purebred, registered horse, and yet she has never transferred his papers. Actually she hasn't even picked up the papers from the seller. Horse was bought on payments, taken home right away, final payment was dropped off in mailbox--seller asked for her address to mail the papers and she said oh that's okay, she'd stop & pick them up one day. Never has. I know the seller & he commented one day that he hd never seen anyone so thrilled to have a registered horse and yet not want to even pick up the papers. Weird to me too--I'd sure want to have them in my possession. But this person doesn't show or breed & doesn't have a lot of money, so probably isn't interested in spending the money just to have the papers in her name.

I do think more people would transfer the papers if the registries didn't require a membership to do the work. Same with bringing a horse permanent. With AMHR for instance, how is it worth it to a pet owner to pay $65 (or $76 for us here in Canada) in order to spend the $5 it takes to bring their horse permanent? If they could pay a $10 or $15 non-member fee, more would surely bring their horses permanent, and if a $15 transfer cost $25 or $30 for a non-member, more would probably pay that too.
I agree totally.

One of my colts... the Silver Bay minimal Appy,,, would be 6 years old now, was never transfered into the new owners name. I have a feeling AMHA fees were too costly in their eyes.... ok... it is too costly in my eyes too. He is the only one of my foals... that I don't know where he is. Wish I could find him.

With my Icelandics... it is cheap to transfer a horse over and very easy to do...no fuss no muss. However the mini horse Registry...not only do you have to pay a lot of money, it is not as clear cut or as easy to deal with.

One reason I stopped being a member of AMHA... I dropped my memebership one year (no, I did not owe them any money)...and I was told not only did I have to pay the $75.00 to become a member again... I had to pay a late fee. Like what? They lost me after that... not going to pay a late fee and be punished for dropping the membership one year, the year we had a lot going on and just couldn't afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I am a member and I'm doing the transfer, I pay the member fee.

Pam C.

When I sell a horse(especially to Newbies) I write in the contract the sales price plus AMHR&AMHA transfer fees to be paid by Buyer and I collect the money from them make sure all paperwork is filled out correctly, take photos, sign everything and mail it myself.That way I know the horse is transferred to new owner.Problems arise later when horse is not brought permanent.I agree that a non-member fee for transfer and update needs to be put in place by both registries.It is too late to do it for AMHR for Convention this year, but maybe next year it could be done.Maybe AMHA will get things rolling this year.

I have 2 geldings that I never transfered the papers on for a few different reasons, (1) I show at ADT & CDE's which don't require registered horses (2) they're geldings & (3) money... I didn't do one of them right away so it would cost a lot now to register him and the other only has his baby papers so this too would cost me a lot.

Is there an easy way to find out all the rules for registering?

Latest posts

Back