"WHY?????" Don't People Feed their Horses???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
Here is Frosty! At one time she was a beautiful mare with lots of spirit, now she is so thin, her hair is dull and lifeless she looks awful and seems to have a look of hoplessness.

I was contacted this last week and asked if I wanted to buy Frosty back. I am "trying" to cut back on my horses and certainly did not plan to buy any more.

Frosty after all this time has never been transferred and I know for sure that she has had 3 different owners since I sold her.

When the person that called me asking if I wanted to buy her back said that Frosty was to thin to take to a sale it was like a "warning bell" ringing in my ears - so I decided to check it out and this is what I found:

Frosty.jpg

Needless to say, Frosty is now back home - it is going to be a looooong, slow process but Frosty certainly deserves another chance at life. Guess I have a very hard time understanding how anyone could EVER let a horse get in such deplorable condition!!

I'm just going to ad this to Donnas' thread. This picture of Frosty is in Donna's barn. Frosty had no hay or no bedding to eat at the other place. She had nothing. And I'll ad this, I don't think Donna will mind. She got Frosty back from the same person that had sent the QH palomino mare to the auction a few months ago. Some may remember that Donna went to that sale just to buy Tanna back and had to bid her away from a kill buyer. Tanna had looked like a big old plow horse at the sale, today she's built back up and is musculer and beautiful and happy, as Frosty will be after time at Donna's place. Thanks to people like Donna, the worlds a better place.

That just makes a person want to cry! They don't have any more do they? You should call someone and report them! You can tell how beautiful she is even with the bones.

I am so glad she is back with you where she belongs!

God bless

Fran

I like you don't understand how a person can do this to an animal. Why did they let it get so out of control, why not ask for help before it got to this point? I will never understand that. I am so very glad though that at least they contacted you and asked if you wanted to buy her back. Please keep us updated on her journey to recovery
aktion033.gif

That is so hard to understand and wouldn't it be fun to take those people that starved her and give them bread and water for 3 weeks!

I am soooooooo glad she is back home.

I for sure do not understand folks.
no.gif

Best of luck and keep us up to date on her progress.

Guess you will never know the reason but glad to hear she is being lovingly taken care of now. Unfortunately there are a lot more horses in this ones condition & even worse........... That is why I keep saying we as breeders need to stop putting so many foals on the ground. Stop bragging about how many foals one had & concentrate on the quality. (Donna this statement is not pointed at you, just a pet peeve of mine right now since I've seen so many in similar conditions). I'm afraid it might be even more so since the hay & crop shortages.

Donna, i am so glad she called you! i know you will do wonders with this mare. she is truely a beautiful mare in spirit and i know she will be beautiful again on the outside too! you are such a good kind person! jennifer

Oh this makes me SO MAD!!!!!!!!!

Why oh why can't you feed an animal??

I received my 3 mares this year in similar condition even though under their horrible winter coats you could not see it as clearly BUT you could feel it! More importantly you could see it in thier eyes, that pathetic look of hopelessness.

I cried for my girls and then just got mad BUT the WONDERFUL thing about animals is that they forgive and they blossom!!!! I now have 3 amazing girls, who look beautiful and just the sweetest, kindest mares imagineable!

I really believe that this is actually a very malicious, cruel thing to do. How do you eat you b'fast, lunch and dinner everyday and walk past a horse looking like this and not feed them??
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Thank goodness she is safe and with you. I know she will blossom and pay you back threefold for your kindness, they always do God Bless them!!
yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Wow How sad!!!! So glad she is home agan safe and soon sound.[/SIZE]

Lyn

The photo of this mare actually adds 10 pounds to her appearance...as they say. I was agahst when I saw this poor mare in Donna's barn.....photos cannot capture the gratitude or the voracious manner in which she consumes her feed. Donna took me to the farm where this mare came from and I took the remaining four minis to find good homes. However, I wouldn't give the individual a dime (will do so as soon as they're ready for "family" homes, as there are expenses in getting them back in shape (nothing like Donna's mare). We're gonna keep one of the mares (Rose Bud), as her back legs were injured as a foal and I worry about her being tossed from home-to-home. Here's a photo of this beautiful girl after a good brushing.

Rosebud.jpg

Her friend, Kalico, had just returned from two months of driving/riding training from the Amish. Ohhh, man, they hacked off her forelock.....thank goodness hair is a renewable resource. Here's a photo of her after a quick brushing:

Kalico.jpg

When the horses saw the hay in the trailer, they leaped in and their heads never came up during the five hour journey home. They're so thankful to have pasture, beet pulp/grain/BOSS.....and a good brushing. What really urked me was there was a barn full of hay, but for some "strange" reason, it didn't get down to the animals.

We've all had difficult times in our lives when we're overwhelmed with problems. I sure wished this individual would've asked for help sooner.

Also, there were the cutest little Ober Hasli weanling bucks that were going to slaughter if someone didn't take them.....so I brought the fellas home to an unhappy husband. The fun part is they're keeping our stallion company and the kids love them. Because I know nothing about goats, I did a web search because the seller said that they're registerable and found some that have a $250 asking price. Yikes! My husband would be happy if I sold the critters for what I paid...LOL! Our son, David, named them Waffle and Gomez.

Goats.jpg

By the way, Donna did not mention the two foals that came with this beautiful mare that have never been handled by humans. Trust me, Donna has her heart and hands full! God bless you, my dear friend!

Cindy

saludando.gif

no.gif
GRRRR that infuriates me! I'd like to do the same to those people!!

I will keep Frosty in my prayers. Maxine

That picture sure has spoiled my day but the good thing is that she is back home with you and you will get her back in shape. Isn't it sad how people buy horses and then don't feed them enough or have Vet care.

I know of another situation where there are several minis involved and it is pitiful that authorites won't step in and do the right thing.

Good luck with this mare who will be beautiful again.

That is so sad. Just the fact that someone would do that outrages me.

I'm thinking of you for a speedy recovery.
aktion033.gif

qtrrae said:
Guess I have a very hard time understanding how anyone could EVER let a horse get in such deplorable condition!!
448661[/snapback]

Dont feel bad, its IS not understandible, and there is NO excuse for an animals looking like that! Thanks so much for taking her, I just wish EVERY horse(or every animal) would get the word out it NEEDS a new home or its gonna die, then we wouldnt have alot of horses(or other animals) dieing, just because they couldnt get taken care of, there needs to be a system were when an animal is in a life or death sistuation that it at least gets a chance to find a new home!

-Gage-

I'd like to just slap the crap out of these people. I know I am supposed to be working on being a better person but this kind of stuff just drives me crazy. Outrageous! How dare they!

Donna, I think I recognize Frosty from pictures a long time ago if I am not mistaken. If my memory serves me correctly I think this is the same mare that I wanted when I saw her picture years back. I thought she was breathtaking and lovely. Reminds me of my Silver Belle and her name "Frosty" of course reminds me so much of my old pony that I lost. I wish I could have bought her. Thank God you have her back. She's going to be just fine now.

Latest posts

Back