why do some want ads say

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I've seen this statement more than once and until I had a couple pintaloosas, I had no real opinion on them. But now that I have 2, I realize that I love the color!!

What is it about them that some people don't want anything to do with them?

Often people with a background in breeding big Apps don't want any Pinto in their breeding. I've heard that's a big no no in breeding big Apps.

Some people just have personal preferences for or against certain colors or patterns. To each his own.

I personally just don't care for crazy wild colors or pink face skin- just a thing for me. When I was putting out the word last year I was shopping and that I was going to be picky, I specifically said "no apps or pintaloosas or even crazy pintos unless they're REALLY amazing."

If you've got to feed it and love it, might as well adore looking at it everyday too.
biggrin.gif

Just remember that we all have our opinions! if everyone like the same thing in this world there would be NO variety(SP)!

-Gage-

I know people have likes and dislikes. I'm not begrudging personal tastes and preferences.

It just struck me that I had seen this statement more than I had seen something like, "No solids" or "No sorrels" or whatever.

It's one thing to ask for what you're looking for in a want ad, but it is something altogether different to specify something that you apparently dislike and won't even consider.

To me there appeared to be a reason I wasn't aware of.

Pintaloosa's are really accepted only in minis. People I've spoken to both appy breeders and pinto breeders just think it's a mix that shouldn't occur! It is a carry over from the large breeds.

I personally like them, the difficulty is for people that are trying to breed say for PtHA (Pinto Assocation), there can't be any appy breeding in the horse. It is a requirement of the registry. I have a gorgeous pinto mare, that her sire for some reason was registered as an appy, so we can't registerer her or any of her foals or their foals on down the line for a number of generations. All of my best marked pinto's have appy breeding, no characteristics, but in their bloodline.

Michelle@wescofarms said:
I personally like them, the difficulty is for people that are trying to breed say for PtHA (Pinto Assocation), there can't be any appy breeding in the horse.  It is a requirement of the registry.  I have a gorgeous pinto mare, that her sire for some reason was registered as an appy, so we can't registerer her or any of her foals or their foals on down the line for a number of generations.
444616[/snapback]

Actually, PtHA changed the rule just last year (or this year?) regarding Miniatures and appy bloodlines. I heard the rumor, and specifically inquired because I want to register Catch Me, but his sire is Brewer's Classic Supreme, who is a chestnut blanket. I was told that so long as the miniature shows NO appy traits and meets all other basic qualifications, they can be registered.

The application form has not yet been changed to reflect Miniatures with appy blood CAN be registered, but the office did confirm that they are registering Miniatures like Catch Me now.

it goes both ways. alot of pinto breeders dont want appy and the appy breeders dont want pinto. When you cross the two it really muddies up the water on what color genes they are carrying. For ex a roan appy that had pinto behind it could be a sabino appy or could be a true roan appy. if theres no pinto in the background you know its a roan appy not sabino.

I myself like them and own a pintalossa mare. funny though she always throws solid babies with appy characteristics. One of her daughters has appied out now and one still just has characteristics. But she never ever throws her pinto genes. I have bred her to two wild colored pinto stallions and no pinto foals. my friend thinks she doesnt have much pinto behind her and the appy is more dominant.

I am breeding some pinto mares to my leopard appaloosa stallion this year. Some of those mares will be offered for sale. They should make some LOUD colors!

I personally prefer the "loud" in minis perhaps because of my involvement with arabians and saddlebreds. Minis seem to be the only equine group that you can get EVERY color and pattern under the rainbow and I would never limit myself though to just one color or pattern, I based my decisions on "conformation" end of story. Why would I narrow my field of choice because of color?

I would assume its because Pinto and Appy breeders have worked hard to make sure their animals breed true. An appy offspring with pinto characteristics is not considered to have bred true.

I like them but would rather have a pinto or a appy.

Most of your color breeders do not want to cross the two. They are either a pinto breeder, or a appy breeder, or have a herd of each but normally dont cross them.

I love pintaloosa's - wish there were more out there, big and litte.

I have seen that too and I have seen want ads that say no appy either.

Like they say it takes all kinds.Ii personally love the pintaloosa also and I am actively breeding for them. I would love to get a leopard pintaloosa, that would be so striking!!!

I can understand the Appy and Pinto breeders wanting to keep the patterns "pure", but I think in minis the Pintaloosa is a fun color, especially in black
yes.gif

As it has been said in several other posts. I would prefer not to have a pintaloosa as I would rather have a pinto or an appaloosa but I dont want to mix the 2. It is just personal preference. I think people that like appaloosas are more accepting of it than us old die hard pinto people.

I think several of the posters are correct that many of us have big horse background and we tend to follow the type of big horse type we were in to. You just dont mix the 2 in the bigs.

I have seen some beautiful appys though since I have gotten into minis and in the big horse world I rarely gave them a second look. I also never like blue eyes and now I love them.

I don't care whatever each way. I like the color but won't be totally shopping for one.

Like some people had said people who breed for color doesn't want the herd mixed. For instance the pinto registry the horse cannot have appy in it's background. The appy registry you can't have them show any pinto markings (I THINK).

There is only one registry out there I do believe that only registers pintaloosas and thats the ISHR (INTERNATIONAL SPOTTED HORSE REGISTRY) not a very big registry either.

I LOVE them!!
wub.gif

I think the Pintaloosa is the BEST of both worlds, and with the appy in them, each spring you get something a little different!!!
laugh.gif

Well, I'm like quite a few people, and believe a good horse is never a bad color. That said, there are a few colors I'm not fond of, but neither have anything to do with appies (or any variation thereof). We do have at least two pintaloosa's (one of our colts could also be a pintaloosa, but as of now, all he exhibits is appy, so I don't think so). And our two pintaloosa's are both out of the ordinary. In that, I mean that neither would be expected to be a pintaloosa unless you knew what you were looking at. One has characteristics, but no spots (the dam of our appy colt, who was sired by a solid stallion, so I KNOW she is a pintaloosa). The other is a tad bit trickier, as I would expect of her. She is a pinto, but was sired by a pintaloosa. She started some rather extensive light roaning across her hips and back this past winter, so I'm fairly certain she is a pintaloosa as well. Now if I can just figure out if she's a silver too... but that's for another thread.

Latest posts

Back