Why do none of the NW AMHR shows offer package deals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the facility cost more to the mini horse clubs due to the fact that there are other groups that hold more shows, like the Pinto clubs. And that we were even subject to being bumped on dates. This seems to me to be a reason to possibly combine the clubs??? I know this is a sore subject for some and I have absolutely no idea why. If the clubs were combined and offered a series, it seems the bargaining power would be a little bit stronger. Right now the club members $$$ are spread so much too, to tell the truth, I didn't join ANY AMHR clubs this year, for the first time since I've owned minis. Just a thought, I really do believe that it would behoove the clubs to consider it.

Just a side note....for those who are looking at putting on a show in the Spokane area, I am in! I live in Walla Walla and we have tried to get some interest in putting on a show here as well. The fairgrounds is very accommodating and would love to get the minis, whether A or R in, but most people have said they do not want to travel that far. Well, we HAVE to travel that far to each and every show we go to. I show mostly A but would love to add some R shows to our schedule. If I only had a 2-3 hour drive, we would be doing a lot more showing. But when its a 6-7 hour drive to each show and with gas prices the way they are and paying $66 a stall, etc we have to cut back. Why not look at some facilities that are willing to work with us on the price a bit more? No need to have a facility that "could" house 300 horses when we only have 75-100 at most showing up.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the facility cost more to the mini horse clubs due to the fact that there are other groups that hold more shows, like the Pinto clubs. And that we were even subject to being bumped on dates. This seems to me to be a reason to possibly combine the clubs??? I know this is a sore subject for some and I have absolutely no idea why. If the clubs were combined and offered a series, it seems the bargaining power would be a little bit stronger. Right now the club members $$$ are spread so much too, to tell the truth, I didn't join ANY AMHR clubs this year, for the first time since I've owned minis. Just a thought, I really do believe that it would behoove the clubs to consider it.

Good idea in theory Amy... we've brought it up before... and tried... apparently... them there are big time fightin' words... LOL LOL So, if you can get the Miniature Horse Club to accept Shetlands and the Shetland Club to accept Minis into their membership, you're a miracle worker. = ) PC is the only actual Shetland Pony "&" Miniature Horse Club. I'm with you I don't understand it either, but club members have split and fought over such a merge suggestion... even having "Shetland" classes has caused friction in one club.

Good idea in theory Amy... we've brought it up before... and tried... apparently... them there are big time fightin' words... LOL LOL So, if you can get the Miniature Horse Club to accept Shetlands and the Shetland Club to accept Minis into their membership, you're a miracle worker. = ) PC is the only actual Shetland Pony "&" Miniature Horse Club. I'm with you I don't understand it either, but club members have split and fought over such a merge suggestion... even having "Shetland" classes has caused friction in one club.
Really?! I had NO idea this was the case... OMG AMHR/ASPC is the same darn club (essentially). I thought (though could well be wrong) that shows like Cavalcade of Ponies, etc had AMHR and ASPC?

Really?! I had NO idea this was the case... OMG AMHR/ASPC is the same darn club (essentially). I thought (though could well be wrong) that shows like Cavalcade of Ponies, etc had AMHR and ASPC?
This just never ceases to amaze me. I tried to jump start a club here and donated many hours of my time. We despertly tried to get them to include ASPC in the club. Hit a huge brick wall and you would have thought I was the devil for even bringing it up. After a few years I finally gave up and withdrew.

Even just adding pony classes to the fun show caused a huge drama.

Clubs have to start thinking about the big picture instead of thinking what is best for a few indivual members. I have posted before I think clubs are going to all disappear if they dont start thinking outside of the box. People are now working more hours than ever just to keep their horses. Most do not want to donate their time to a club so you get the same 5 people doing everything and eventually they burn out.

KayKay

Are you inside my head again!
default_new_shocked.gif
I feel much the same and have been tarred & feathered for even broaching the subject -- but, YES, these days we DO need to think outside the box - or better yet, all nest down together to pull thru this economy - never ceases to amaze me about how narrow minded some folks can be - business is business - no money = no club! Seems pretty simple to me
default_wink.png

Stac

KayKay

Are you inside my head again!
default_new_shocked.gif
I feel much the same and have been tarred & feathered for even broaching the subject -- but, YES, these days we DO need to think outside the box - or better yet, all nest down together to pull thru this economy - never ceases to amaze me about how narrow minded some folks can be - business is business - no money = no club! Seems pretty simple to me
default_wink.png

Stac
Yeah, what she said...
default_yes.gif

I so exactly know what you ladies are going through! Props to you guys for sticking in there.

I am so saddened to see so many clubs closing up the last couple years.

To the members of these clubs:

Wake up! Would you rather be an ASPC/AMHR club or have no club at all? Because they might be what it comes down to. More members = more money = more benefits and perks for club members.

I remember saying over and over just because you add aspc and allow shetlands doesnt mean YOU have to buy one and show one! You dont like them---thats fine! But why not allow the ones who do to become members and participate.

Heck we all can learn something from each other!

I would take it one step farther and suggest that the most "viable" club would be AMHA - AMHR & ASCP -- of course it would be a big job, but in the longrun I truly believe that is the direction that a successful longterm club is going to have to be -- don't get me started on my opinions on having 2 registries!

Just my 2 cents...but if we combined A/R shows...I am IN! Most of my horses as well as my client horses are double registered so would be great. I too would consider supporting the AMHR club/shows if they weren't so tight on the schedule for me(which is my reason for not ever going). Would love to take in some AMHR clients and show! Seems to me both clubs could benefit since so many have double registered or at least some in each registry and are having to make a choice who and where to show. If we could do a couple of larger double events then we only pay for the stall once, can show both types of horses AND possibly have a bigger turnout which makes for better negotiations for pricing.

Let's open our minds!

And in regards to Leia's original concern...I like the idea of a performance based flat fee. I can see both sides but also think that if we did try lowering prices a bit and/or flat fee (for performance), that it seems maybe = More exhibitors. So in the long run it may end up being the same money wise or close to it but more doable for some folks. Obviously it would take careful planning and consideration in determining the prices but worth looking into at least.

I would take it one step farther and suggest that the most "viable" club would be AMHA - AMHR & ASCP -- of course it would be a big job, but in the longrun I truly believe that is the direction that a successful longterm club is going to have to be -- don't get me started on my opinions on having 2 registries!
Totally agree there too! Again why limit a club?

default_new_rofl.gif
default_risa_suelos.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_gaah.gif
default_472.gif
default_frusty.gif

I just wasn't sure which icon best fit this conversation. LOL.... Stac knows where I'm comin from. Don't get me wrong... I agree combining is a good idea financially.... but realistically... me thinks there might be too many chiefs, and a whole lot of prejudice and politics to overcome. Don't mind me if I just sit on the side lines and cheer this time so I can enjoy my little horses for a little while.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Putting this to rest for me now... gotta a whole lot of awards to finish up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I had no idea there was so much political history in our local clubs.
default_wacko.png
Every single one of our shows has classes for both ponies and minis and the "mini only club" moved their show this year because of Shetland Congress (so the "pony people" could still show) so it never occurred to me that's why we have three R clubs!
default_unsure.png
Good gracious. I've always thought it was nuts and now I'm doubly sure.
default_no.gif

I'll say no more except that I would very much support one main R club with a show series instead of three separate clubs with three separate shows and would love to see it happen. The NWMHC is (edited to add: SEEMS LIKE) a great model to follow, the only reason I'm not a member is because I can't afford to show A but IMO their members get far more for their money than any other club in the state.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wacko.png
Every single one of our shows has classes for both ponies and minis and the "mini only club" moved their show this year because of Shetland Congress (so the "pony people" could still show) so it never occurred to me that's why we have three R clubs!
default_unsure.png
default_no.gif

I'll say no more except that I would very much support one main R club with a show series instead of three separate clubs with three separate shows and would love to see it happen. The NWMHC is a great model to follow, the only reason I'm not a member is because I can't afford to show A but IMO their members get far more for their money than any other club in the state.

Leia
Leia, Leia, Leia... If only you knew how little you know.... I personally don't wish to dredge up past history... I've moved on... but if you'd really like to know about your suggested "model" club, you should inquire more about it. Ask Stacy privately sometime, she is one of the founding members of that club.

Can't stop putting my foot in it today, can I? Sorry.

Leia
Don't be sorry Leia... I step in mine too... LOL LOL From the outside looking in, appearances can sometimes be deceiving... I can see why you would feel that way about NWMHC. = ) But anyway, here's what I do see with you... I see a nice person who showed concern and interest, who loves their horse, loves to show their horse, is on a limited budget and just wants to enjoy being able to show that horse. The kind of people clubs want to have come to their shows. And then someday, maybe is someone that might want to get more involved. When you do, you'll understand the logistics better of the whys and why nots. One suggestion though, if you have questions regarding a club's function... contact the people in charge and find out more... it may be to your benefit... sometimes LB is not the best first place to start.

Count me in as another person wanting a flat fee. I have an all around gelding, and have to pick and choose what classes we enter. The shows Ive been to around here run about $25 a class and thats open or ammy, If I do 4 classes Im at $100. If the shows really cant find a way to swing a flat fee, what about something like, after X dollars, classes are half price?

default_wacko.png
default_unsure.png
default_no.gif

I'll say no more except that I would very much support one main R club with a show series instead of three separate clubs with three separate shows and would love to see it happen. The NWMHC is (edited to add: SEEMS LIKE) a great model to follow, the only reason I'm not a member is because I can't afford to show A but IMO their members get far more for their money than any other club in the state.

Leia

There is an AMHR/ASPC/ASPR Registry rule that prevents Area Shows from being held during our Registry's National Championship Shows. Since the Evergreen Club was awarded the Area 8 Show this year, they had no choice but to move the date if the Club wanted to retain the designated Area Show.

As previously mentioned, hosting the Area Show is the biggest one-time opportunity to gain some financial headway for the Club due to lower costs (free ribbons, only one judge). This is really important to the financial viability of any club! In fact, the club I am involved with usually takes a financial LOSS all other years, then tries to make up some ground when its our year to host the Area Show.

Exhibitor support, sponsor support, and volunteer support are all HUGE. I had NO idea what it takes to put on a show until I got heavily involved with a Club. What continues to amaze me is how often I hear the general perception that a Club's primary goal is to make money. NOT true! The clubs exist to serve all of us members and exhibitors! Please remember folks...if a Club doesnt make money, a Club cannot offer you a show the next year. It's that simple - that's why a Club needs to make money....so we all get to continue doing what we love! Hats off to all those on here trying to brainstorm better ideas, and many many thanks to all who work hard for Clubs everywhere!

Back